Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2011, 01:11 AM   #1 
LeroyTheBetta

Introducing...... (insert drum roll...)

Meet my new guy:

Sorry about the poor quality of the shot, but I was getting him acclimated slowly to a bit of salt in a small container before I put him into a bit bigger container to float in his tank while I treat him for several days. I figured it's easier to keep this small container clean and fresh than treating his tank.

So...... I decided to get another betta. Went into town today to get either a boy or girl betta, but only if one jumped out at me! (Not literally, of course.)

I saw this boy right away, but his fins were pretty ratty. I looked at the others and there was another really pretty one whose fins looked very nice and healthy, but I kept coming back to the boy in the photo above. HE jumped out at me, but wasn't sure I should take on a challenge right away, or get the other with healthier fins.... but he didn't jump out at me like purple boy did. I'm pretty sure he's a veil tail.

The shop assistant came to help me and I said I would like the healthy-finned betta. She prepared the bag, about to net the fish out of the tank, then I said "Wait! I want to think some more.... about the purple boy". I told her I was reluctant to get him because of the condition of his fins, and she said the little display thing that suctions to the inside of the tank to show the betta boys & keep them separate fell into the tank and 2 of the boys went at each other over the weekend. So, with some trepidation, I decided to get him and treat him back to health.

As you can see, he's mostly a purple colour with a big red splotch on the top of his head. He also has blue, purple & red on his fins. His pretty colours are what caught my eye and I didn't want to pass him over because of his torn fins for another very pretty, but run-of-the-mill, coloured betta.

I just need to name him and I have a few vague ideas of the type of name I want. I'll update you when I choose what to call him.

Last edited by LeroyTheBetta; 06-14-2011 at 01:16 AM. Reason: add stuff
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:40 AM   #2 
Sakura8

I absolutely love his coloring! He looks like a moving sunset. I think you made the right decision. Any ol' joe will buy the pretty-finned one so he's got a good chance of finding a home. But only us betta buffs will buy the ragged ones knowing they turn out to be beautiful. Plus, there's the personality. There must have been something about his personality that drew you to him. *animal magnetism* And if his fin rips happened just over the weekend, then there's a good chance he won't develop fin rot. If you'd left him there, he almost certainly would have with those torn fins.

I can't wait to see more pics and find out what you're naming him.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:09 AM   #3 
LeroyTheBetta

Thanks, Sakura!

There were 3 other bettas there that I considered briefly, one of them was black with sort of yellow/gold pec & anal fins... a CT. He was beaten up, too... same thing, the display fell into the tank. As a matter of fact, I was there one day last week when the lady was fixing it up and replacing the bettas in it.

Anyway... I'm not sure how funky I want to go with the name. lol I've got a couple that would absolutely need to go by a nickname, but I would be 99.9999% sure no one else has a betta named the same. :)
Old 06-14-2011, 03:17 AM   #4 
LeroyTheBetta

Ok....... decided on the name.

(insert another drumroll, please)

The official name I have chosen for my lovely purple boy is...

Hubba Bubba Groovy Grape! :)

"Groovy" will be what I call him, though. I think it suits him, he looks very groovy! And, "groovy" is one of my favorite words!

Last edited by LeroyTheBetta; 06-14-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:30 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Okay, now I'm dying to hear Leroy's full name. If Hubba Bubba Groovy Grape is anything to go by, you must be on the of the most innovative betta namers in the forum.

He's really lovely, can't wait to see more pics. Welcome, Groovy.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:38 AM   #6 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Okay, now I'm dying to hear Leroy's full name. If Hubba Bubba Groovy Grape is anything to go by, you must be on the of the most innovative betta namers in the forum.

He's really lovely, can't wait to see more pics. Welcome, Groovy.
Leroy.

Technically, I sort of named him after one of my dad's best friends who passed away several years ago.... Leroy Zirkel. He was the funniest person I think I've ever met! I liked the name Leroy for a fish, I guess.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Bwahahaha! So you have Hubba Bubba Groovy Grape and . . . Leroy. Too funny.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #8 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Bwahahaha! So you have Hubba Bubba Groovy Grape and . . . Leroy.
Well, Leroy passed away last week. He seemed to be doing poorly for a couple weeks. I tried to get him back into condition, but it didn't work. And although Leroy was short on name (lol) he had quite a big personality. :)

So, for the past few days I was visiting the shops to see if there were any interesting little betta fish....... and saw Groovy.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #9 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry to hear you lost Leroy. I remember reading your posts about your battle to get him back to health. :( They do have so much personality, don't they? On the flip side, I can't wait to hear what you name your next betta.