Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2011, 01:06 AM   #1 
metalbetta

SBD... From the tank?

Hey guys,
As some of you know I've got Azrael and Winston in a divided 5 gallon, and it's been fine up till about a week ago.
I did a water change, and all of a sudden Azrael gets severe bloat and ends up with SBD every time he goes back to the 5 gallon! Whenever he's in a QT tank he's fine. I'm using Wal-Mart gravel, he has two plants and a hidey hole.
There shouldn't be anything in the water to be causing this... I had AQ salt in there for fin repair and I thought that's what might have caused it... but I scrubbed the tank and didn't add any this time, and he still ended up on his side!
FYI Winston is fine. It's just Azrael having the problem, and they're sharing the same water. So stumped.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:25 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Ooookay, that's just weird. It's like he has severe agoraphobia and freaks out or something. I really don't know what to say. What temperature is the water in his 5g? And when you do the water change, do you add back water that is pretty much the same temp? But wait, you're a senior member so yeah, duh, you most likely do. All I can think of is some kind of temperature or chemical shock but I don't know what it could be. Do you end up with a lot of gas bubbles after the water change? Maybe . . . I guess it could theoretically be stress causing this but I've never heard of bloat and SBD being caused by pure stress and nothing but stress. How many times has this happened so far?

I really have no idea. It's very odd but hopefully someone will come along soon who does know. *bump*

Forgot to ask: how's Jayde doing?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #3 
metalbetta

Ive never seen anything like it. I put him in the gallon QT last night and he's fine. Moving him into a 2 gallon and switching him out with Rikku... So we'll see if it's just Azrael being weird. I'm guessing it's so much stress it's causing a physical reaction. There shouldn't be anything in the tank to cause it!

Jayde's doing alright... No real change as of yet.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Well, as long as she hasn't changed for the worse. :/ Hope they all settle down and get better.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #5 
metalbetta

OH! You asked what my temp was and all that... lol
They stay at a steady 76-78F... No need for a heater in the summer here fortunately...And it's an extra good thing since my heater is contaminated from being in Daiquiri's tank and I'd rather not risk it...
I acclimate for 10-15 minutes at a time, usually no problems. I don't usually get any bubbles in the tank, as everything stays wet which doesn't allow for air to get trapped on the decor.
Oddly enough Rikku is doing fine... He's my second oldest boy and can probably handle seeing Winston all the time without getting too stressed. Azrael is in the 2 gallon, no problems. I'm seriously weirded out.

As for Jayde, that spot is still there... I took a look at her today and it doesn't look as bad. Hopefully that's a good sign.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Yeah, that's definitely weird but hopefully Azrael will get over whatever it is that's causing his SBD, whether it's mental or not.

I really hope Jayde pulls through. That the spot isn't any bigger is good. *fingers crossed* *toes crossed* *eyes crossed*