Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #1 
jesstanner

Petco Bookshelf Aquarium?

Does anyone else have this tank? I just got it on Saturday because it was the perfect size for my table but I'm having a lot of issues with the filter...
It took me two hours to get the filter running, and then when I did it was really loud! Or maybe it just seemed loud to me because it's in my bedroom, but I'm just wondering if this was the case for anyone else?
jesstanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #2 
Thunderloon

It is a little loud. Not the best piece of design out there and it looks like it was meant to be more than it ended up as.

Its a good tank and has a nice pace length. There's another thread someplace in here...

Well, thought there was.

Since that tank has an odd shape you'll want to watch where you put any ornaments in it for flow reasons. Wouldn't be good to make the water only circulate at the short end.

Generally what you do to make the filters work is you pour the filling water in through the filter.
To re-start filters I actually keep a $3.00 plastic siphon pump from Ace Hardware on hand. Just pump water up from the tank (be careful not to pump fishy up from the tank) into the filter and then lift and drop the intake tube a few times over the impeller (spinning bit) and it will slowly begin pulling water up over through the pipe.

Found this at another site: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...quarium-Review

Last edited by Thunderloon; 06-14-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #3 
SnowySurface

I do have that tank, but I'm using the Tetra 10i filter with it. It took a second for me to get the filter to fit nicely, but now my tank works well. I have the heater on one side and the filter on the other side of the tank. So if a thermometer in the middle reads a steady temperature I'm going to assume the water for the whole tank is steady. I'm also not surprised that the filter the tank came with is loud. Since the motor is on the outside of the tank, it would almost be impossible not to hear it. With the 10i, it's motor is submerged and makes the filter silent.

I know there is another thread about this tank since it gave me the idea to buy this type of tank. I never heard of it until I read it a month or so ago. I also got the idea to buy a different filter when I saw a lot of post complaining about the noise. Since I'm in an apartment, I would hear a loud filter everywhere every time I was hope. It's a nice tank for bettas since it has more length and less height than most tanks. I'm still cycling my tanks before I put my fish in them, but hopefully they will like their new homes when they move in. :)
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #4 
TonyK

I almost pickedup that tank. When I looked at it I thought the filter would be a problem. My plan was replace the filter with something a little more reliable.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #5 
jesstanner

Yea, at the moment I'm not using the one that came with it at the moment...I had an extra one laying around :)
jesstanner is offline   Reply With Quote