Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #1 
BetterBetta

Weird Betta Behavior?):

Hi, I just bought a female veiltale betta about 4 days ago. For the first night I kept her in the cup she came in, second night I had her in a fair sized vase, and the third night I bought a 1.5 gallon tank (I'm a kid, and I have to buy all the stuff for my betta, so I can't get a 5 gallon). It has a filter, but not a heater, however I live in southwest Florida and my house is warm.

My betta hasn't been active at all; its been behaving really weird lately. It will sit on the bottom of the tank motionless for a few minutes, then rush up to the top to breath air, and go back down. Now it goes to the bottom of the tank and just sits there. For a long. Long. Time. It won't eat, so I don't know if it's bloated or what. And when I try to nudge it, it swims around, gets air from the top, and goes back to the bottom.

I'm thinking it just needs to get used to its tank, but it was very active before. I know betta sleep, but mine "sleeps" all day then. Maybe it really needs a heater? Help!:(

This is my betta, and all it does. It almost looks like it lost color. (By the way, my avatar is NOT my actual betta)

Her tank.
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #2 
fishman12

List of things you need: heater, thermometer, silk or live plants, cave, frequent water changes (100%). You need to turn her light off at night. Is the plant in the back silk or plastic?
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #3 
BetterBetta

Plastic, should I remove it and get a silk plant? Also, I DEFINITELY need a heater then?
Old 06-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...

Your 1.5gal tank will be fine provided that you make the needed water changes to maintain water quality....that being:

Filtered- twice weekly 50% water changes...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method

Make sure and use dechlorinator with any new water added to the tank for the full volume of the tank-not just the amount of the replacement water.

Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of time a month

What kind and how much of dechlorinater are you using, do you have a thermometer to check the water temp, if so, what is the temp...if not, you need one to monitor the water temp and to monitor the water temp of the replacement water with water changes....it is important to try and keep the water temp within a couple of degrees between the two with water changes to prevent temp related problems, how did you acclimate her to your tank water...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #5 
BetterBetta

For water conditioner I'm using Tetra Aquasafe Plus and I'm using 4 drops. I do not have a thermometer, but I will try to get one today. I acclimated her by keeping her in the cup, but letting her float around the aquarium while in the cup for about 20 minutes, then I let her into the aquarium.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #6 
fishman12

Good. and for the heater, you might not need it in the summer but in the winter for sure
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #7 
BetterBetta

Thank you guys, but do you think my fish just needs to get used to the tank?
Old 06-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #8 
Tikibirds

They are tropical fish and I'm assuming your house has AC, so heater might be a good idea. That being said, I have seen the temp in one of my tanks go down to 68F and that was with a heater on. He wasnt happy about it but he was still active.

She may just be getting used to the tank and is a bit stressed out. I'm no expert though. Every time i had a fish just lie on the bottom of the tank it had to do with the water chemistry. Maybe get her a small place to hide like a little cave or something?

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-14-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #9 
BetterBetta

Yeah I added conditioner, but it's almost like my fish is plain lazy and lays on the bottom, and doesn't eat. Do you think its over-eating? Because she ate the first 3 days, and now she just rejects food.

Last edited by BetterBetta; 06-14-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

I would go ahead and make a 50% water only change using dechlorinater for the full volume of the tank, try and keep the water temp as close to tank temp as you can

She may still be adjusting to the space-especially since she has most likely been in a small container for most of her life...I would add some type of hiding place with either some floating plants or something on the bottom...both would be good to give her a choice, turn off the light after the water changes and let her destress a bit........

Also, depending on the pet shop water chemistry and difference with your source water...it may be chemistry shock...it is best to add small amount of your tank water to the holding cup and pet shop water over a period of time to acclimate to both temp and chemistry and then net the fish and add to the tank...tossing all pet shop water...you don't want to add that to the tank....

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
behavior, betta, sick, werid