Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2011, 11:16 PM   #1 
Jessabell

Angry I'm so frustrated!!!

It's been about two weeks since I got my betta fish, still to be unnamed. I mentioned before about how I never saw him eating, and how he wouldn't eat. And he still hasn't!!!

When I put the blood worms in his tank, he isn't interested. He doesn't even go to smell it or see what it is!

I've been putting something in the water to get his attention, and when he swims towards the top I put the food in. Bt once the thing I put in the water is gone and he knows it, he continues swimming on and pays no attention to the food.

And I wait three hours. THREE HOURS. And he still doesn't eat. So I take the food out so it doesn't make a mess. I've done this almost every. singe. day.

It's so frustrating! I'm afraid he will die because he doesn't eat. I've had NO trouble whatsoever with my crowntail and veiltail that passed away. They ate perfectly fine. He is a half moon and I'm wondering if they are different in eating habbits. This is the first time I've had one.

I just don't know what to do!!!!!

Any suggestions?
Jessabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #2 
TonyK

Being a halfmoon has no bearing on if he eats or not. Just keep trying. It is fustrating when something won't eat for. I breed snakes and every now and then you will get a hatchling that won't eat. Sometimes they just don't eat its a part of life. I'm sure your Betta will eat. Is he in a stress free area? What are you feeding?
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:05 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Is he behaving normally, other than not eating? Do you feed him pellets at all?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:16 AM   #4 
cajunamy
Banned

try a variety of foods. i'd also leave it in the tank, maybe put him in something with a bare bottom. leave the food in and you can check see if the food ever disapears or not
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #5 
Jessabell

Well, I feed him blood worms like my other betta ate. I'll try flakes and pellets. And yes, he is in a stress free environment.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #6 
Burd

Man, my bettas literally jump and try to bite my fingers when I get to feeding them bloodworms or brine shrimp. You've got one weird fish. XP

Are they frozen/live blood worms or freeze dried? Freeze dried ones usually don't tickle mine's fancy nearly as well as the frozen.
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #7 
Jessabell

They are freeze dried. I want to get him pellets and everything to try, but I have to get my dad or somebody to take me to petsmart soon. I'm just so worried about him :(
Old 06-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #8 
Luimeril

x: freeze dried blood worms are what i call Potato Chips for Bettas. they aren't too healthy.

try getting a variety of pellets. my bettas adore the mix i have. it's mostly New Life Spectrum Grow pellets, which smell REALLY rich, and has a few other kinds i can't remember the name of mixed in. maybe your betta doesn't like the smell of the food. x: smell, is how my white HMPK, Theo, knows where his food is. that, and it's always fed in the same place, but in the beginning, when i first got him, hew searched them out by smell. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #9 
Jessabell

Thanks Luimeril lol. I think when I go shopping I'll get some of those pellets and see how it works :D
Old 06-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #10 
Luimeril

sure thing. :3 i think Petsmarts or Petcos will sell them.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote