Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #1 
Seka

Unhappy Help, missing cories!

Hey, just bought four julii cories last night. The count was at four this morning, four this afternoon, and then...

3 cories at 3:30 pm

2 cories at 6:40 pm

I don't know what's going on, but I can't find them. There are no bodies, and no bad smell, so I'm hopeful they aren't dead.

I literally turned the whole tank apart this afternoon looking for Ed, the first missing cory. I took the filter apart three times, and moved the heater out just in case he got stuck, and nothing. And now, two are missing. I took the big plastic centerpiece that looks like driftwood and stuck my hand in to check if they were stuck in there. I dug through the gravel to see if they were buried, and nothing. I checked a seven foot radius around the tank to see if they somehow jumped out because they're very active, nothing.

There's nothing in the tank that could eat them. It's just cories and tetras, not even a betta in there.

Am I missing something (except for the cories)? Is there something cories can do that I don't know about that makes them good at hiding? Are they capable of burying in the gravel (it's rounded, no sharp edges), and popping back up later? I'm really hopeful they'll turn up, but has this ever happened to anyone else?

If they're dead, what are my options so the remaining two aren't lonely? There are no more julii cories for sale in my county so replacing them isn't an option. The only store that sells them won't sell them for a while since the four I bought were the only ones available for months and no one was buying them. Would they be ok with some other type of cory (albino, peppered, emerald, etc)?

Thanks for reading this. Sorry it's a bit long.
Seka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #2 
bettafish15

Do you have a cover for the tank to ward out cats? Small siblings who might not know better? I hope you find your cories D:
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #3 
Seka

Thanks for responding. I know there isn't much the forum can do to help me. I'm just trying to keep an open mind, and think outside the box just in case.

Yes, there's a hood on the tank. There are no cats/other animals in the house that might get to the tank; just small birds, but they don't enter the room. There are no kids living in the house. Found one of the cories. Ed is still missing.

The hood was open this afternoon while I was floating a bag with a new tetra in it. That's when I started looking for him. I don't think he's outside the tank, it's just carpet with no furniture nearby, and everyone in my family looked multiple times.

If I don't find him, will three cories be fine or is that number too small? Even though Ed is missing, the other three are very active, and everyone ate except for Ed.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Three is a minimum for cories, so you should be okay ^^ If it gets down to 2 though, you should try and add another, I dont think species matters, but you can look that up on a catfish forum ^^
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #5 
Seka

Ok, thanks, that's good to hear. I'll keep looking for Ed and remain hopeful, but the other three are so far doing alright. The tetras might like it more now that Ed isn't swimming right into their school and breaking it apart, though.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #6 
Erin8D

Were did you find the third corry?
Erin8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #7 
Sakura8

I hear corys school together with other corys so if you have to get a different kind of cory you should be okay. How big are your julies? Do you have anything big enough to eat them? Double-check the driftwood again, it's amazing but sometimes when they go hide they can stay hidden in there even if you pick their hiding spot up.

And keep looking around the room with the tank. Fish can really travel a distance when they flop around in a panic. I hope you find Ed soon.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #8 
DarkMoon17

Do you have any hollow ornaments? You might want to try turning the gravel a bit, my jullies were known to shove themselves under gravel/rocks when spooked... Hope you find him.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #9 
Seka

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I've checked and double checked everything. No sign of Ed. Looks like we lost him. There's only one ornament to check, and I stuck my hand in there, and there was no sign of him. I dug my hands through the gravel and nothing. I checked the ammonia levels, and it was at 0 so no dead fish. There's nowhere for him to fall outside the tank without being noticed since it's just carpeting all around, and the furniture is several feet away. I've checked under all the furniture anyway, even though it's a bit far.

The julies are over an inch long so I would have been able to spot him. It's a mystery at this point. There's nothing in the tank except for the other three cories and four neon tetras, and there wasn't enough time for them to eat him if he died because he disappeared during a fifteen minute period. He didn't show up during the feeding frenzy. I guess I'll take the big ornament out again and check one last time. I'll dig up the gravel again.

I'm still hopeful.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #10 
Seka

Time to call off the search. Ed has been lost. The tank is clean, nothing in the gravel, and I flushed the driftwood until every single piece of gravel fell out of it. I moved every piece of furniture in the room, and got a huge, bloody gash on my toe for it, but no Ed. I think it's safe to say he's not in the tank since I practically took it apart. If he's somewhere in the room, it's been over 24 hrs since he was last seen.

Rest in peace, Ed.