Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #1 
dramaqueen
Banned

Who has a kindle?

I'm thinking about getting a kindle in a couple of months and I'd like some info. Tell me everything you know about them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #2 
tsoto80

whats a kindle?

animal, vegtable, or mineral? lol
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

It's kind of like an ipod but you put e books on it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #4 
SillyCone

haha not really like an ipod, it's an e-book and yes I have one =]

We have like 3 kindles here, another e-book, an ipad and a galaxy, what exactly you want to know about it?

I will give some quick resume then xD

A kindle without 3g is good, but 3G saves your... "face" everytime if you want to go travelling with it;

We made a 10 days road trip towards Europe few months ago, some times, like in the middle of the nowhere road, the only thing that could get a signal and go on the internet was our kindle (really).

It can get any signal near it and use it for free, the image/connection/usage isn't good as in a galaxy or ipad, but it's really a life saver if you need to check your email.

As for ebook, it's simple and good, the battery (if you don't use the wireless) can take up to 3 months, really.

If you read the whole day everyday it can take over a month, so either way is really good.

The amazon store is quite good as well, but usually you can only put the books you bought on the account your kindle is registered with, but there's some naughty programs that works on kindle and you can just spam books in there. =]

If you have any other questions just ask.
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #5 
Wyvern

Im getting a kindle in Nov for my birthday! I cant wait to get it. Dont get an Ipad ot galaxy tablet for books. Not worth it. The glare of the screen and the screen brightness actually hurts my eyes after 10mins of reading (I tested this with my brother's Ipad.)

The kindle I cant wait for since currently Im reading ebooks on my mobile - an old htc magic and the screen is just to little. But I want one since I read about 3 - 5 books a week depending on how busy work is :P

Sillycone pm me the progs u can use to get other books on there please? Currently Im getting my books from a local bookshop that sells ebooks in epub format since its cheaper than amazon. So I want to be able to read those on there.

Its an amazing book reader, havent really played with one but from all the reviews Ive read it will be perfect for my needs.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #6 
vaygirl

I love my Kindle but I've been through two in a year and a half. I stepped on one and one just stopped working. I now access my Kindle through my iPad. I had the one without 3G. If you're not taking it out of your house and you have wifi already, then you don't need it. But if you don't have wifi then you'll need to get 3G.

Go for a really good case for it, for protection's sake and be kind to your Kindle. Don't step on it. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #7 
SillyCone

Well, the program we use to put the e-books on our kindles is this one:

http://calibre-ebook.com

But where we download I'm not sure, we already have over 1k e-books here so I never bothered asking about new books.. LOL! I will ask around when my dad and brother arrives, they are the ones who spam-downloaded all the books. :P
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #8 
Wyvern

Ooh please let me know :P

I already use Calibre to add mine to my phone :D Wasnt sure it would work with the kindle. No way Im going to survive till Nov for it :S

*edit*

Vaygirl - which case would you recommend? My dad and brothers are going to America for a 2 week holiday (I have to stay behind and keep his office running while they are away - so the kindle is a bribery method to stop me from moaning about them going overseas :P) Im going to get them to get the clipon light and I was wondering which lights and which cases are the best to go for.

Last edited by Wyvern; 06-15-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #9 
vaygirl

Something with a lot of foam or neoprene around it if you're going to have it packed in any kind of bag. Usually Belkin makes good cases for all kinds of things. For just reading and generally not taking it out anywhere, Amazon sells a leather or leather-ish cover cases that I had. They were pretty good too. Most clip lights could fit on those kinds of cases.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #10 
AngelicScars

I have a first gen Kindle and it's still rockin'! I LOOOOOOVE my Kindle.

Let me first start off saying that a Kindle is MUCH different from an ipod, ipad, and things like that. It has "e-ink" which means it has NO backlighting. I HATE reading with backlighting like on a computer and those other things. It's straining on the eyes and pretty much CRAP for avid readers. I would stick with a Kindle or a Nook, but NOT a Nook Color as it has backlighting again (who the heck thought/thinks backlighting is a good idea?!)

Anyway, there are SEVERAL books for the Kindle that are free and instantly available to add to your Kindle. Now, one advantage that the Nook has (from what I read) was that you can get library books for free with it. BUT, from what I've heard, the Kindle will have that ability soon.

If you have anymore questions, just let me know!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote