Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #1 
saylin

Cycling help (ammonia)

So, on June 8th, I bought a 5 gallon tank (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...-Pets/12177653) which came with a power filter (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Regent-For...-1-ct/10313136). I also bought a heater for 5-15 gallon tanks (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Heater-1-ct/10291808). I also bought gravel, a thermometer, silk plants and a cave.

Once I got home, I washed everything and put it in my tank. I added tap water and put some water conditioner in that was included with the tank. I turned on the heater and the filter.

I read the sticky on cycling and decided to go with the fishless cycle using pure ammonia. While I was at the store, I bought a bottle of ammonia. There wasn't a liquid test kit at the store, so I had to buy online and it just arrived yesterday. I wanted to start the cycling process, so I added a capful of ammonia to my tank as soon as I had it set up and I've been adding one capful each night.

I tested my water for the first time yesterday morning as soon as I received the test kit. I also tested again today and had the exact same results:

ammonia: 8+ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 0ppm
pH: 7.6

I realised my ammonia was really, really high. I didn't add ammonia at all last night to my tank.

So, my question, what can I do about the high level of ammonia? Should I just wait it out? Would a water change help? And if so, how much? Any other suggestions?
saylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

With the fishless cycle...you can do two things..either make a 50% water only change and get the ammonia level down some- in the 3-4ppm range or just leave it as it is and monitor..letting it decrease on its own-adding more ammonia as needed to keep the 3-4ppm range....since it is fishless....its not going to make that much difference...its up to you.....

What are your stocking plans once cycled....look forward to seeing pics and hearing more about your tank and fish.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #3 
saylin

Thanks!

I'll probably just do a 50% water change as the ammonia levels are quite high, double than the 3-5ppm recommended range for cycling. And then I'll test again before adding any more ammonia.

Once everything is all cycled, I was planning on buying a male betta :) So excited!
saylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like a plan....look forward to seeing and hearing about your new wet-pet.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote