Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #1 
LynnsBettas

Unhappy Cy and Yogi acting different?!!!

Cy (delta) and Yogi (veiltail) just recently started acting different and not only that but looking different too,

Cy when i brought him home he was an Very active betta. but two days ago his tail fin started to have tiny shreds and he is not active anymore.

His swimming is fine and he's eating well and all but......he's lying down a lot more and i'm so worried about that cuz i had another betta that was fine one day he just lost all his color and died .

As for Yogi (please keep in mind that i keep my betta's water very clean) his tail split in two and just the day before he was fine and when i awoke i was shocked!!! (I was in love with his tail it was perfect)

So i just can't understand it!!! where did i go wrong!! please can someone help me???!!!
LynnsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #2 
Teishokue

did u add a betta? they will fan and fight. too much fanning can cause a split or a fight happened
Posted via Mobile Device
Teishokue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

We need some more information...

How big are the tanks, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, appetite-type and amount of food/feeding, tank mates, type of substrate and decorations, have they ever been sick and/or treated, if so, explain, how long have you had them, list of all the signs/symptom/changes etc...... and can you post pics.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #4 
LynnsBettas

I'm so ashamed to say that i don't have an aquarium with all the fancy stuff like filters etc.....cuz my space is so small.

more info:

Tank size: a gallon with a divider Cy and Yogi live together (do to small space)

Plants: Live plants (i really wish i knew the name) but it has long pointed leaves (both the bettas have one in each side)

Food: There very good eaters and there diets are: Two pellets every morning and either 1 pellet at night or a freeze dried blood worm and two flakes some other days.

Water changes: I change there water every week (on saturday)

Tank mates: just Cy and Yogi (no one else)

Decorations: Nothing just a plant and gravel.

I have had them since april 17.

Sick in the past: No never they have always been healthy bettas until now.

(will post pics later)

I'm so clueless and scared, and in no hurry to see the next day (i might see something even worse) :( :(
Old 06-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

This species can be kept successfully in small container without filters, however, 2 adults in such a small space can be really stressful on them.....and this stress can compromise their immune response and you will be dealing with sick fish all the time-if not worse.........

You need to get another 1gal container and separate them and increase water changes to twice weekly 1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality in the 1gal unfiltered containers.....if you can't get a second 1gal you may need to look at re-homing one of the Betta.......

Right now...in what they are in...I would start daily 50% water changes for the next 2 days then make a 100%...then until you get another 1gal container make twice weekly 50% and 1-100% a week...making a total of 3 water changes a week to maintain water quality....

Heat is another issue.....I would get a thermometer to monitor the water temp to maintain this at 76-80F and to monitor the replacement water for water changes....you need to try and keep the water within a couple of degrees between the new and old water to avoid temp related shock.....

Always use a good dechlorinator with any water added to the tank for the full volume of the tank not just the replacement water...if on city water supply....

You may or may not need a heater.......the goal is to maintain a somewhat stable water temp in the 76-80F range.....

Keep us posted and good luck......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-15-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #6 
LynnsBettas

Thank you for your help :).
Old 06-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #7 
Teishokue

If you cannot afford another tank, you can use a dark divider. this will allow them to not see each other and thus will not fan at eachother. that way territorry is established and never mixed. heating is never a requirement unless your temperature changes dramatically or at the level which isnt sufficient for the fish. a heating system just makes sure that it is around the correct temperature although some have mixed results.
Teishokue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #8 
LynnsBettas

Update: Cy doesn't lay around so much, so thats good.
but i have another question, is it normal for a betta fish to split there fins just a little???
Old 06-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Good to hear he is improving.....

Its is not normal per se....however, it can happen for a number of reasons...over flaring, strong water movement, decoration in the tank, over use of the fin especially with long heavy fins, stress..... etc..........to name a few common reasons.....

Can you post a pic...

Split fins happen and when they do you need to prevent secondary infection since the Betta has an open wound.....best way to prevent is with clean dechlorinated water from frequent water changes and good nutrition to help maintain a strong immune response....

Did you get a second tank to separate them