Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #1 
youlovegnats

Artificially Hatching Eggs

Hey guys!

I just came home from work to see Smirnoff and Princess spawning!~ Yay! Buuuttt here's the problem. Smirnoff hasn't made a nest and he's eating all of the eggs. :( Sooo I grabbed a small cup and started to siphon the eggs up as they were spawning. I have about 30-40 of 'em now and I was wondering if they'll be ok on their own until they hatch..?
Thanks!
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #2 
SillyCone

idk... I guess is better to try than being a snack food for your male >_>!
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #3 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyCone View Post
idk... I guess is better to try than being a snack food for your male >_>!
Seriously... I had to push him out of the way to get the eggs... -__-; *sigh*
It was like a game of "last piece of pizza" over and over...
Old 06-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Success rate with artificial hatching varies...often when the male is not tending the eggs and/or eating them...he may have a good reason...something is wrong with the eggs.....

Are you sure he is eating them or holding them....sometime they will coat them with mucus and let them float until after they spawn and then build a nest or even leave them on the floor until they are done....

The way I artificial hatch my Betta eggs...I use a small cup that I can float in the heated tank to maintain a water temp in the 80F range, cover the top with plastic veggie wrap for heat and humidity, I add floating plants like water lettuce and/or frogbit, in 12-24h I add one small common snail...I want the snail to start eating any bad eggs to limit pollution/decay....I don't want to add it too soon or the snail will eat the good eggs too...I will have hatch in 24-32h usually.....once hatched...I tip the container and add small amounts of tank water every day until they are about a week-10 days old and then I release them in the tank.....I usually will add a few newly hatched BBS twice a day at about day 4 from hatch or once they are free swimming for 24h...

Congrats and good luck.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-15-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #5 
SillyCone

Huh... Does that makes you a dad/mum (forgot your gender... SORRY!) of 40ish kids?

Daaang people these days... Jookes! XD
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #6 
youlovegnats

OFL- Yep! I have them in a small floating container in water that's 82F and covered with plastic wrap. Well, it's their first spawn ever...so maybe they aren't fertilized right..but it's worth at least seeing if they hatch or not right? :)

SillyCone- I'm a girl :) So a mum of 40 hahaha xD

I have the parents (still spawning) in a 110 L (about 29 gallons) long container tank/ bucket thing so the babies will have TONS of room to swim :D ... oop- they just finished. xD Princess is goin' nuts...better take her out. :P
Old 06-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

You may want to give them more time...sometimes they will take a break and start up again....

Right...nothing wrong with giving it a try and good experience for you too......

Be sure and attach the container to the side of the tank so it doesn't sink....I am sure you already did this...but for other reading and learning.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #8 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
You may want to give them more time...sometimes they will take a break and start up again....

Right...nothing wrong with giving it a try and good experience for you too......

Be sure and attach the container to the side of the tank so it doesn't sink....I am sure you already did this...but for other reading and learning.....
Ok! I'll check on them a bit later then.
Yeah- the container is sitting inside one of those guppy breeder boxes (I use them to introduce my bettas instead of the chimney way) and it's pretty well sealed in there- it can't budge. ^^
Old 06-16-2011, 12:59 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good luck with them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:30 AM   #10 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Good luck with them.
Thanks DQ!~