Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #11 
JKfish

Welcome to the forum :D

O_O 76 to 60 is a huuuuuuge drop. You have to remember that their external temperatures are the same as their internal temps. They need temps around 78-80* F, so that's an insane drop.

IMO, the 2.5 is probably better for him, but if not and you think the 1 gallon is okay remember you just need to keep it heated. You'll have to do 100% water changes every other day in the 1 gallon. A2.5 gallon needs 2 50% and one 100% water changes a week. The salt is completely uncessary. If you are worried that the decor (I doubt it is ) is the problem, just rinse well in hot water before adding again.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #12 
XiaoYu

That's quite a story.

As far as I've experienced, salt is okay. I wouldn't put as much in as it calls for though. (and doing the 100% water and tank cleaning removes old salt so re-salting won't make the water into a marina.)

All I can think of is either that new decoration or the stress from a new environment. My betta freaked out for 2 weeks in the new 2.5 gallon. He didn't quite know what to do with all the space. (he enjoys making the tightest turns and swimming behind the uptake tube to name a few oddities) Adding more plants and a castle he could hide in really helped. But time was the biggest factor.
XiaoYu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

In an experiment I conducted (non-scientific) in regards to ammonia and water change needs in small (1gal), unfiltered, without live plants for a single healthy adult Betta.....

I found water changes of twice weekly...1-50% and 1-100% would maintain water quality in 1gal tanks....provided that the Betta was not overfed and uneaten food removed within a reasonable time....

Ammonia doesn't build up as fast as some may think........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #14 
rockin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Could be....some Betta don't/can't tolerate large spaces as well as others....especially males with large heavy fins...they can get really tired and stressed with too much space and filtration/water movement.....hope he keeps getting better for you.....
Hmmm...if I got a baby betta for the 2.5 gallon tank, do you think it might get overwhelmed? Or would it get used to it since it's so young?
rockin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #15 
rockin3

Here are some photos of him from today if you're curious...

rockin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #16 
XiaoYu

oh, he's cute! ^-^
XiaoYu is offline   Reply With Quote