Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #11 
flowerslegacy

Here's an update: The whitish poo grew and extended to 2x the length of her body. It eventually fell off but I never found it in the bowl. Since she won't eat, I treated her with a Metronidazole bath for internal parasites: one dose, waited 48 hours, 25% change, another dose waited 48 hours and then checked her water. Ammonia at .50 so I did a 100% water change. She still hasn't eaten and it's been 14 days. It looked like she was eating some of the medicine at the bottom of the bowl, which could only be good if she has internal parasites, but that's the only interest in eating I've seen. I've seen no other improvement. She has no desire to eat and just swims away from any and all food ie. frozen worms, live worms, brine shrimp and pellets. She just hides all day. However her appearance looks healthy and normal which is odd. She's not thinning or gaunt. My original pics remain the same for her appearance. I'm at a loss.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #12 
Sakura8

Wow. That her appearance hasn't changed is interesting so I wonder if she still has parasites inside. I'm surprised she even turned away from live worms. At this point, I would suggest you PM Oldfishlady because I'm like you, at a loss. She may be able to suggest a stronger medication, if that's what is needed. I just don't have enough experience with parasites to be able to help you. Sorry. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #13 
flowerslegacy

Thank you so much Sakura. I thought the same thing regarding her appearance. I'll PM OldFishLady. I don't want to lose her! You're responses and assistance have meant a lot!
Old 06-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #14 
DarkMoon17

Can you fill out the sticky in the disease section?

Is her tank heated? Is her tank in a noisy or busy area? Can she see the male?
If it is parasites, and it does sound like that is the case, there are a number of ways to treat them but I need more info about your current set up and her symptoms...
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #15 
flowerslegacy

Hello DarkMoon17, I've listed the sticky info below. To answer your other questions: Her only exposure to males would've been at the LFS before I purchased her. I bought her on June 9th. My first post was about her ovipositer because it was so obvious and she wasn't eating. In my inexperience, I didn't know if her lack of appetite was due to possibly carrying eggs. Her bowl is not in a heavily trafficked area and no where near noise. It's in the living room downstairs and we spend the majority of our time upstairs.

Here's the sticky info:

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal (temporary housing. I'm cycling a 10gal)
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No. It's just a bowl.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I've tried frozen blood worms, live worms, frozen brine shrimp and pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? I try 3 or 4 times a day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2x a week. I have a water test kit so I check it too.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0 (was at .50 this morning!)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH:8.0
Hardness: Unsure
Alkalinity: Unsure

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I just noticed another whitish poop starting about 2 hours ago.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She always hides. Stays in her log or behind the heater or on the bottom.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Has never eaten but the first whitish poop was seen on the 4th day of owning her.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I did a Metronidazol bath. Dosed one day, waited 48 hours. Did a 25% water change and another dose. Waited 48 hours and the ammonia was at .50 so I did a 100% water change vs. a 25% water change because I don't have a filter. Plus, she looked miserable.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? She's never eaten and I'm on my 14th day of owning her.
How old is your fish (approximately)? She's pretty small so I'd say she's young.

Any help would be appreciated! I'm trying to save this little girl with all I have!!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #16 
DarkMoon17

Well husbandry isn't the problem, it looks like you are taking great care of her. Try placing her within sight of another betta (you mentioned having a male before I believe). Feed the other betta while in view of her. Make it so the glass is touching/almost touching so she can clearly see the other betta eating. Sometimes competition can get them back on food.

What form did the Metro come in? Was it fish medicine? What brand/kind?
You could try Jungle's Parasite Clear/Eliminator fizz tabs if a store near you sells them. The ingredients are different.

Obviously she isn't feeling great. Try to make her comfortable: Epsom Salt 1-2tsp/gal, tannins/IAL, and StressCoat can be combined with any meds you use and will make her feel better.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #17 
flowerslegacy

Thank you DarkMoon! I'm going to the LFS right now to see if they have the Jungle Fizz tabs. The Metro I used was the API brand, the box of "General Cure". I read the ingredients and then dosed the amount based on the size of her bowl. Unfortuantly I do not have another betta (yet) to assist with feeding. As I mentioned, I'm cycling a 10 gal and I have it set up with a divider. I plan on putting the female on one side and getting a male for the other side. In the meantime I'm just suffering watching her starve! I'll get the epsom salts and use the stress coat. I have some aquarium salt but I've learned from this forum that epsom is better in this situation. Thanks again. I've really felt lost over this one!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #18 
DarkMoon17

It is a really strange situation... Since you don't have another betta, you can try placing her in sunlight or outside if it is warm enough where you live. The natural sunlight could help. I know if turns my anorexic lizard around lol

General Cure is usually pretty good. I like it for external infections more than internal though. Did you finish the whole course of treatment? I've noticed that Tetra is the new owner of the Jungle Lab's brand. Now all the Jungle meds look like cheap knock off versions :/ I don't know if they are as effective as they were when Jungle was in charge but it's worth a shot... You are looking for Tetra's Parasite Clear. New name but hopefully it still has the old meds.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #19 
flowerslegacy

Hi DarkMoon17 - I moved her bowl a little closer to the sunlight/window (not direct sun). When I got home last night and tried to feed her she actually ate!!!! I fed her again this morning and she ate again!!! Yea!!!! I'm taking it slow because she hasn't eaten in 2 weeks. I've only fed her a little bit each time. I'll increase the amounts when her appetite increases. Anyway, I went to the LFS last night and they didn't have the Jungle product you reccommended. I was SO bummed. She still has a small stringy poop so I'm leaving right now to see if I can get the Tetra Clear. To answer your question, I finished the full course of treatment of the General Cure. The directions told me to only dose two times over a course of 48 hours. However, with the new stringy poo I'd like to try your suggestion to make sure she's cured. I'll check the meds of the Tetra Clear and see what it is. Although I'm totally excited that she ate, I want to make sure this parasite is gone. Thank you SO much for all your direction! I'm finally getting to see her little personality. Bettas are so awesome. I'll keep you posted on her progress!
Old 06-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #20 
DarkMoon17

I'm SO glad she is finally eating! That is great news. You can give her a day or two to recover from the meds/parasites. It is possible that her poop is still white because she hasn't really eaten in awhile. Since she hasn't eaten in so long she is probably removing ALL the nutrients so there isn't any left over to poop out. Give her another day or 2 on food to see if it turns brown. If it doesn't, then go ahead with the Tetra Parasite Clear. When Jungle owned it, it was pretty light on the system so I can't imagine it causing a problem. I even used it on fry one time...