Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #11 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishybaby View Post
thanks for responding guys :)

@kgs1992: from the top his doesn't have any bloating or scales sticking out, he looks like the third picture you have posted

so no salt right now, hospital tank, and being looked at like i'm a mean person/getting puppy eyes cause of no food... lol this is gonna be fun
Welcome to the club. My guy bit me when I fasted him for constipation. Think I would have preferred the puppy eyes . . . oh wait, got those too . . . and the wiggle dance . . . and the one where he floats at the top and looks up at the surface a lot, then at me, then at the food, then at the surface . . .
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:10 PM   #12 
ishybaby

update:
Ish has had a TINY poo, and seems slightly more swollen. he was acting normal, especially when i tried to get pictures of not wanting to look away from me thinking it was a game. I drove 2 & 1/2 hours to parents house for the weekend and he came with, but he seems worse now. I put him in the 1 gal bowl that they have for him with a heater, and he started floating sideways and gasping for air. I grabbed his smaller traveling cup and put cleaned water in and placed him inside and he's still acting odd, lying on the bottom and laying sideways. But when you pick the cup up he starts swimming normal.
He also had little white spots on one side and i was like "ich! o no!" and ran my finger by his side and they floated away, so i guess air bubbles?
so now that ya'll have witnessed my tiny (ok, major) worry attack over a betta fish, any suggestions, or is it the waiting game? reason i ask, is cause my parents have a petsmart and crappy lfs down the highway from their house if i need to grab anything for him tomorrow.

thanks guys
ishybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #13 
PewPewPew

I'd advise an epsom salt treatment at this point..I havent kept up with this thread, but tbh, he needs more than just fasting if hes that big.

I would add in 2tsp/gallon of unscented epsom salt to the tank, pre-dissolved. Do not feed him, of course. Do this for 3 days, and then for 7-9 more, use 3tsp/gallon. Change the water each day, and acclimate him accordingly. Keep him in a dark, peaceful place.

Epsom salt acts as a laxative to help him go as well as helps reduce swelling in his belly. I would stick the heat at 78'F if you can.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #14 
Sakura8

Only a tiny poo and he's MORE swollen? Not good. It's time to try the epsom salts. Mix 2 tsps into 1 gallon of dechlorinated water and let dissolve (stir it to make it go faster otherwise it will take FOREVER). When it's as dissolved as it's going to be, pour it in with him, but try not to pour it ON him. Keep him warm and quiet and if it looks like he is having trouble rising to the surface to breathe, you can lower the water level to 1 and 1/2 inches. If he will eat, get some NO SALT ADDED frozen peas. Take one and put in boiing water for 2 minutes. Next, take it out and put it in some ice water for about 30 seconds. Now that the pea is blanched, cut it in half and take out a small part from the middle. You only want a piece of pea that's about as big as a pellet, absolutely no bigger. Let your guy eat that.

After this, it's the waiting game. Fast him, change the water and continue the epsom salts every day, post if anything happens or you just want some encouraging words. I hope he gets better, I hope the salt works. Hang in there and get well soon, little betta buddy!
Old 06-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #15 
ishybaby

lol got another question guys
I got a mirror and held it in front of Ish, and my mom and I thought he was gonna flare quick, but he never did. He would sorta swim up to the side and look, then turn around and ignore it. what'd do ya'll think, is he just not interested or too sick to flare? or something else? I never had a betta that wasn't willing to flare even when sick
Old 06-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #16 
Sakura8

Has he always flared quick? Depending on how often you get him to flare, he could be not interested or on to your little game. But there's a possibility he might not feel up to it since he doesn't feel well. I hope it's the former option and he's just wised up and realizes, "Hey that's just me in that mirror and dang it, I look good."
Old 06-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #17 
ishybaby

Hey guys! just letting ya know ish finally had a poo :) yay!
thanks for the help!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #18 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishybaby View Post
Hey guys! just letting ya know ish finally had a poo :) yay!
thanks for the help!
Wooohoo! *happy dance* Good to hear, I hope he's on the road to recovery.