Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #1 
PinkBetta264

Mosquito Larva

I was wondering if there is a guideline on feeding Mosquito Larva...how many etc...I actually dipped some out of my rain water bucket today put them in some clean water and fed each of my guys 3..hard little buggers to catch with tweezers!! WOW that was more entertaining than fishing!! The boys went CRAZY!!
PinkBetta264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I mass feed mosquito larva...but I am also conditioning for spawning or growing Bettas out.....I have never had any issues with overfeeding/eating to the point that is was problematic for the fish...but for regular feeding...I would feed 3-5 larva 2-3 times a day..depending on the larva and Betta size......

Be sure and rinse well before feeding and don't add any of the larva water to the tanks.....I like to use an eye dropper to feed and I also use a brine shrimp net to feed in my big tanks...a little easier.....I bet it was fun catching them with tweezers...lol.....and the Bettas go nuts over live food....really fun to watch them feed......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #3 
PinkBetta264

OFL...thank you, i just fed them the larva as a treat on my day off with time to kill. Lots of work but worth it... It was surely entertaining, like that scene in a movie where the guy catches the fly with chop sticks...lol...i scooped them out of the bucket with the brine net and put into a cup of clean water, then caught them one by one to feed the boys....after I was done they were on the hunt along the substrate looking for more ...just wanted to make sure I didn't give them too many....free food and here in FL over abundance :)
PinkBetta264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Thats pretty funny.....and so true....Bettas usually go nuts over live food and after feeding for a day or so...expect some massive nest.....this is one of the best spawning triggers too....instinct tell them..lot of good natural live food=time to reproduce......laffs....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote