Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #11 
Sakura8

Hi Owric, I think the vote is in: your guy probably doesn't have ich but he definitely is in need of a heater and he's pretty bloated. You just can't trust the instructions on the fish food containers 'cause your betta can eat a LOT in five minutes. Bettas are greedy guts. For a betta, one very small flake is more than enough for a meal. You might want to consider switching to pellets because it's a lot easier to judge how much you're feeding: one pellet or two. Also consider adding in some frozen or freeze-dried bloodworms or brine shrimp for a meal or treat. Variety and small, frequent meals are best when feeding bettas.

Try Arashi's method for getting him to pass some waste. I've never tried it but it sounds like a pretty good tip since I have noticed my bettas leave behind . . . er, souvenirs after I chase them trying to get them into a cup for water changes etc. If perchance this doesn't work, then post back and we'll discuss further treatment. Right now the most important thing is to get the bloat down because it can lead to all sorts of bad things that may not be reversible.

Once you've gotten a heater and you keep the tank at a steady 78-80 degrees farenheit, it will be important to make sure the water you are refilling your tank with during water changes is the same temp as the water you took out, give or a take a few degrees. Bettas are from tropical waters and need warm water to thrive. In colder water like yours is now, he's using all his energy just to stay alive so he doesn't have any energy left to swim around. That's why he's so lethargic. Warm water will perk him up.

I would suggest keeping an eye on those white spots on his head. They could be any number of things, most of them benign. But they aren't ich so that's good.

I hope these tips work and I hope your little guy gets better quickly. Also, welcome to the forum. It's good to have you.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #12 
Owric Bawrin

Thank you so much everybody. We are heading out today to get a heater for the aquarium and get the water to the right temp. We also have him in the bowl we originally got him in (there's no gravel in it) and are doing 100% water changes w/ conditioner daily. I feel so bad that we weren't taking care of him the way he's supposed to be. The people at the local pet store made us feel like we had everything we needed when we went BACK out to pick up stuff for him b/c I didn't feel like a bowl was sufficient when my daughter first got him. We are rectifying everything now.

So do I need to dissolve the epsom salt in water first and then add it to the aquarium?
Owric Bawrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #13 
bahamut285

@Owric: Yeah, the common practice is to condition and dissolve before adding it your aquarium, so you get the dosage to be the same for multiple changes, and so the salt won't be heavily concentrated in one area
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #14 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owric Bawrin View Post
Thank you so much everybody. We are heading out today to get a heater for the aquarium and get the water to the right temp. We also have him in the bowl we originally got him in (there's no gravel in it) and are doing 100% water changes w/ conditioner daily. I feel so bad that we weren't taking care of him the way he's supposed to be. The people at the local pet store made us feel like we had everything we needed when we went BACK out to pick up stuff for him b/c I didn't feel like a bowl was sufficient when my daughter first got him. We are rectifying everything now.

So do I need to dissolve the epsom salt in water first and then add it to the aquarium?
Owric, don't feel bad. It happens mainly because the pet store people don't do their job and properly educate their customers. And now that you know, you're doing everything you can to fix the situation and that makes you waaaaay better than the people who know but still continue to take poor care of their fish. Plus, you really care about the welfare of your fish. So cheer up, it's okay. *hugs*
Old 06-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #15 
JKfish

Firstly, welcome to the forum :)

Unfortunately, I only skimmed the other's responses, so if I repeat anything they have already said, I'm sorry. Along with being overfed, and not heated, your water changes are wrong. This is an issue, because in a 1 gallon tank, there should be 100% water changes every other day to keep the ammonia levels down.

Try reducing how much you feed to help him become less bloated. If possible, when you upgrade your guy (minimum 2.5 gallon tank with a heater that keeps his water at 78-80* F), you should consider getting pellets because they are more nutritiuos and easier to feed. If you decide to get pellets, make sure there is a minimum of 40% protien and that the first 2 to 3 ingredients are all protien related (fish, fish meal, shrimp, shrimp meal, etc).
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:55 AM   #16 
Owric Bawrin

Alright so I went out with my family today and got my daughter a thermometer and mini-heater for her aquarium. My daughter is still deciding on her new aquarium, but for the time being we have her current aquarium set up much better than what it was and we will be changing the water every other day. I currently have the heater running the aquarium at around 85 degrees to help clear out any bad bacteria/fungi which may be in there right now. We still have her betta in quarantine and he seems to be doing much better w/ the salt treatments. He has a lot more energy now and doesn't look as bloated (as far as we can tell). I've attached some pics of his current condition:

Old 06-17-2011, 02:48 AM   #17 
Sakura8

Oh yeah, he looks good. In fact, I can't even tell he's bloated - he looks positively trim compared to some grossly bloated bettas I've seen. You're doing great. Your bettas are lucky to have such conscientious and caring owners and I'm sure they appreciate the care you give them.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:54 AM   #18 
LeroyTheBetta

Glad you're looking after your betta well! Just be careful with those higher temps (say over 82F) because this in itself can be stressful for your betta. Ich treatment includes higher temps to speed up the lifecycle of the parasite that causes it so that the fish gets better faster with its treatment. But, it doesn't appear that he's got ich, so I'd just go with about 78 to 80 degrees. Nasty bacteria and fungi might even thank you for slightly higher temps.... so just be aware that you may have the tank a little too high unnecessarily.

Last edited by LeroyTheBetta; 06-17-2011 at 03:56 AM.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #19 
JKfish

In my opinion, he's looking good :) I'd lower the tank temperature a tiny bit to 78-80*F, which is pretty much the sweet spot for bettas. 85 is a bit too warm.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #20 
Owric Bawrin

Oh I don't have the betta in the aquarium where I'm running it at a high temp yet. He's in the original bowl we got him in while I treat the aquarium and run it at a higher temp for another day or so. I will get the temp back within the proper range before I put him back in aquarium.