Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2011, 01:39 AM   #1 
limeslide

Hello there, BettaFish.com!

Hello everyone! My name is Fernando and I live in Extreme South Texas. I am currently enjoying my summer vacation (while it lasts). I am in Junior High and I still have a lot of school hours ahead of me ). My serious Betta adventures began one day (not too long ago, 6/4/11) when I was helping my mother shop for groceries and the such when I saw those familiar cups, filled with blue water and ailing fish. I looked at them and felt pity, the poor creatures were trapped in what seemed to be a fish hell. I was saddened, my entire trip to the store had become a depressing one. Finally, I gathered up the courage, asked my mother if I could purchase one of the helpless things. I ran to the racks, eyed each fish carefully, and neared my hand towards each one. I picked one that responded well, not too scared to the point were it exploded all over the cup in horror, but one that was quick to respond, flare, or back away. I made my decision on a small male, he was red with green speckled on his body. He was perfect. I carefully help him in his cup in my hands for the rest of the time I was at the store, making sure he was kept warm by my hands and away from all the moving people, trying to ease the stress of being moved. When I arrived home, I went into my greenhouse and floated his cup in a planted 10 gallon aquarium I had running for a few months, it's inhabitants a Blue Mystery Snail, and a pair (what luck...) of Zebra Nerite Snails. I followed all the procedures and acclimated the fish by slowly adding water to the cup, throwing away all the blue gunk. I introduced him into the tank, he was as happy as could be. The next day, I think I saw ich (sp) on him. The sun of the day quickly rose the temperatures in the aquarium to 90F, and the ich seemed to detach from the fish. Still being worried, I ran to the petstore and bought bottle of Ich-Attack by Kordon (the 100% natural version, for the snails of course). I treated the tank and will do so for a week or until I notice the fish and the aquarium is rid of the "ich". He ate one pellet of Aqueon Betta Food (out of the 6 I tried feeding him, it was an initial four pellets but they sank to the floor of the tank because he didn't notice them), I'm worried if he's being lethargic or if he didn't see the food. Well, time will tell. Hopefully he heals and will be back back to his betta-self, he already active and happy, I can't wait to see his bubblenest and more of his awesome antics. :)

Here's some blurry pictures of my betta, Texas, meaning friend in Caddo. He is really active, exploring his new home. :)
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d...ide/015-16.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d...ide/010-16.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d...ide/001-27.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d...ide/002-24.jpg

I'll try to get pics of his entire set-up, and better pictures of him sometime soon. Thanks for reading and I hope to become a member of this awesome community! :)

Last edited by dramaqueen; 06-21-2011 at 08:39 PM.
limeslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Lovely Betta you found and what I can see of your planted tank...looks awesome.....what other species of fish do you keep......
Careful with those OTC products...sometimes they can do a number on plants, fish and inverts.....
Once he settles in, adjust and nutrition improves his immune response will get stronger and he will be able to fight off the parasites on his own.....
I bet you have mosquito larva....net some, rinse and drop a few in the tank....he will go nuts for them and a great natural food....

Look forward to some more pic and hearing more about your Betta adventures.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #3 
limeslide

Thanks for the comment!

Texas is quite the looker, he seems a lot less active though, it worries me. But then again, I've never seen him at these hours (5pm) of the day so I don't know if he's just responding to the temperature by being less active. I'm going to freeze some ice cubes to put into the filter, hopefully it helps the temperature stay down thus preventing my betta from over heating and being like this.
He ate two pellets, w00t! He kept spitting them, but eventually he ate them. I feed him 6 pellets, once again I only started with four but he never paid attention to the others, I'm scared the ammonia is rising in the tank because of this. i don't have money to buy a Ph/ammonia/nitrate reader so I sadly wouldn't know. What should I do? I am doing daily 20% water changes because of the ich treatment, does that help lower the ammonia? The ich treatment is invertebrate and plant safe, I made sure it was so I wouldn't lose my beloved snails and plants. I did remove the carbon pad though, does that affect ammonia levels?
He is the only vertebrae in the tank, I don't think I'll be adding any other fish in there, I don't want any more viruses and diseases entering the tank. Here's a list of what fauna I placed in there on purpose (note "on purpose", this does not include algae and ramshorn snails, whom are considered a pest).
-1 Betta splendens, Texas
-1 Pomacea brigdesi
-2 Neritia natalensis sp. "Zebra"
I do not have any mosquito larvae, I will ask around though. They are abundant here and are considered a pest, maybe feeding my betta these will show them a thing or two not to mess with me, LOL!
Here's the tank as it stands today.
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d...ide/001-28.jpg
The lid is like that so air still passes by and lets the betta breath. It is also like that because I couldn't find anything else OTL.
Here's the one pic that didn't come out as blurry as the rest:
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d...ide/003-24.jpg
Here are some more blurry pictures of him, not as impressive but bleh, it was the best I could do. Sorry BettaFish.com! ):
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d...ide/004-22.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d...ide/014-16.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d...ide/013-18.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d...ide/016-17.jpg
Thanks for reading, I hope to read many more posts in this thread! :)

Last edited by limeslide; 06-16-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:13 AM   #4 
limeslide

Photobucket seems to have re-sized the first two pictures, here are the big versions.
The tank (excuse the ghetto lid. ;_;). Don't mind the thermometer, I keep the tank cool by adding ice sticks to the filter daily. :) Hopefully when I get my room I can move Texas there so he won't be as hot!
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d...ide/002-26.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d...ide/001-29.jpg
Texas.
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d...ide/003-25.jpg
No new posts? Does this forum not like n00bs like me? :P
Old 06-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #5 
kathstew

Welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you!
Texas is beautiful. Such a deep, vibrant red. Its beautiful.
Your tank looks awesome, seriously amazing. You sound like you already know quite a bit about fish keeping, have you kept other fish before?
I think everybody is busy with end of year projects and such. The forum is usually a lot busier... :P So please excuse the lack of replies right now. LOL
I believe you can get a bucket of water and just stick it outside, and the mosquitos will begin laying eggs in there, if you wanted to get your own. But that also means more mosquitos around the house. DX
His lethargic attitude could just be him getting used to his surrondings. It usually takes a few days for a betta to fully get settled in.
I love your signature as well :)
Again welcome, and I look forward seeing your posts throughout the forum.
If you are interested, you could probably provide a lot of members help with plants. Members are always asking questions about adding plants to their tanks, and it looks like you've got a good handle on that. ;)
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #6 
JKfish

Welcome to the forum!

Texas is really pretty, and he's in a wonderful set up.

Since he is in a planted 10 gallon, with only a few snails, the ammonia levels should be fine. 20% water changes will keep the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate parms to the minimum. Is your tank cycled?

If his water temps are getting above 80*s, that might be an issue. But, since you are adding the ice cubes, you probably have it under control. Make sure the ice cubes you are putting in your filter to keep the water temps down have been dechlorinated :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:07 AM   #7 
limeslide

Hey guys! I had the best luck in the world and asked my mom if I could bring Texas inside. After a bit of arguing she let me do it! :D I took him out and placed him in his betta cup and placed the snails in closed condiment containers (the ones you get in Taco Bell and stuff). I emptied the tank by placing the water in unused plant pots and I brought the tank downstairs. I rearranged the plants and gravel so the tank would look more presentable, since the tank would be in plain view, and so Texas could explore! The light fixture I placed on the tank sadly doesn't have working lights, but a quick stop by Wal-Mart and the tank is complete! :D The snails really seem to like the lower temperatures (especially my mystery snail, Mr. Appleface), and so does Texas! :) The tank is at 82F but hopefully when I do a water change I can lower the temperature to the mid 70s. He seems to be free of ich and Texas really seems happier. He still won't eat, which worries me but hopefully he will start chomping his pellets! I haven't seen blood worms in shelves for a while, but I will look around. :)
Here is his new home, on the bar, next to the sink (+1!).
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d...ide/005-23.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d...ide/008-23.jpg
I finally got some clear pictures of Texas! YES!
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d...ide/014-17.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d...ide/015-18.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d...ide/016-18.jpg
I think I got bit by the betta-bug! I've been looking a lot into female sororities and Plakats and Double Tail Veil Tails, they look very pretty and I would love to own some. Hopefully this new hobby doesn't go out of control. Eek!
@kathstew: Thanks for the reply! :) Heheh, I'm glad you think Texas is pretty. :) That female on your avvie is quite the looker, too! :) I love the black mask she has on. What's her name?
Thanks! I think my tank looks horrible, though. I'm still a n00b at growing aquatic plants (after one year...). I have kept fish before, namely Corydoras(<333333333) and some tetras, but I'm still quite new to betta keeping. :) I hope to one day start a big tank full of Corydoras and maybe some tetras (Rummynoses <3333 and maybe some Serpaes to take one chore off my mom's giant daily to-do list, she has two and a school of 5 would make them really happy, plus eliminating her having to take care of them since they would be fed along with the fish I want to put in there). She has agreed to this plan and maybe I'll start on this rad project sometime this summer! :) This would be on my mother's budget though, not mine!
I don't think my mom would like to find a bucket full of mosquito larvae in the backyard, we already have enough mosquitos and she'd explode with madness if she found out OTL.
I may put some plants up for giveaway or sale sometime soon on this forum, this place needs more planted tanks! My betta loves them and I hope to see many other people's bettas loving them too! :)
@JKfish: Thanks for the friendly welcome! Do you have any pictures of that betta in your avatar? It looks so pretteh *drool*.
Ah, glad I'm not accidentally killing my fish, what a relief! I'm only doing the daily 20% water changes because of the ich treatment, I'll be doing weekly 20% changes after he heals. :) My tank is cycled, at least I think it is, it's been up for 3-2 months and algae levels seem controlled, and no snails have died since the tank has been set-up, so I guess my tank is cycled. :) Once again, I don't have a way to check water parameters since I don't have a lot of money right now. :(
The ice cubes were dechlorinated, but I've stopped adding them to tank since he now lives indoors! :) Thanks for the concern though.

Last edited by limeslide; 06-18-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:42 AM   #8 
kathstew

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeslide View Post
@kathstew: Thanks for the reply! :) Heheh, I'm glad you think Texas is pretty. :) That female on your avvie is quite the looker, too! :) I love the black mask she has on. What's her name?
Thanks! I think my tank looks horrible, though. I'm still a n00b at growing aquatic plants (after one year...). I have kept fish before, namely Corydoras(<333333333) and some tetras, but I'm still quite new to betta keeping. :) I hope to one day start a big tank full of Corydoras and maybe some tetras (Rummynoses <3333 and maybe some Serpaes to take one chore off my mom's giant daily to-do list, she has two and a school of 5 would make them really happy, plus eliminating her having to take care of them since they would be fed along with the fish I want to put in there). She has agreed to this plan and maybe I'll start on this rad project sometime this summer! :) This would be on my mother's budget though, not mine!
I don't think my mom would like to find a bucket full of mosquito larvae in the backyard, we already have enough mosquitos and she'd explode with madness if she found out OTL.
I may put some plants up for giveaway or sale sometime soon on this forum, this place needs more planted tanks! My betta loves them and I hope to see many other people's bettas loving them too! :)
Thanks for the compliment. That's Ocean (LOL, my mom named her.) She is one of my first bettas, I got her and her sister Drama Queen at the same time. They are both in my sorority, with four other bettas.
I think Texas is beautiful. I don't usually like bettas that are a solid color, but he's gorgeous!
Nah, your tank looks awesome, I wish my tanks were all planted. I'm slowly starting to switch to planted. My sorority has a lot of moneywort and anubias. I'm also getting some java moss in the mail soon.
I LOVE corydoras, I'm hoping to get some in my next tank, whenever that is! LOL. Rummynoses are cool. I've never heard of Serpaes, but I looked them up and they look AWESOME. I may have to get some soon now, LOL.
I'm too low on money to have any kind of project this summer! Lucky lucky, my mom doesn't exactly hate my fish obsession (she has one herself) but she thinks I should've stopped at two, and I know have 10 bettas!
LOL, I mentioned to my mom once about the bucket of water, and she wasn't impressed. XD
Put me on the top of the list if you give away/sell any plants, (especially moss or duckweed if you have it!)! :)
The pictures of Texas look really good, and he looks really happy in his tank. Has he made any bubblenests yet? He looks really TINY, LOL.

Edit: I love doubletails too, I've been looking for them forever, but no where near me sells them, so I am starting to save for a more expensive guy off Aquabid. :)
Sororities are AWESOME. I have a 10 gallon sorority with 6 females. It was quite difficult at first, they fought a but. More stress worrying about them than anything though. After a few days things settled down, and they are all quite happy together. They've even paired off into little "cliques". Its adorable. I love waking up and having them all rush to the front of the tank to say hello. :)
Plakats are very nice as well. I have one, that I got from petsmart. He was labeled as a female, and was supposed to be for my sorority, but I realized he was a male a few weeks later (he hadn't been in the sorority yet luckily). Now he lives happily in a 5.5 divided tank with a halfmoon betta. He is my biggest bubble nest builder. But my newest guy (my avatar) is catching up, and may surpass him :P

Last edited by kathstew; 06-18-2011 at 08:46 AM.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #9 
limeslide

I bought the light fixture today! I also managed to snatch some bloodworms from the store, but he still wont eat a thing. :( He's becoming a total bleep towards my poor snails, the guys were just doing their snail thing and BAMM! Texas and his ginormous ego were all over the poor thing, he kept biting them and scaring them, poor things. :( Hopefully when the tank gets a bit more lush I can get more snails so is ego is distributed amongst them all and not just three and so they camouflage with the green! Ninja snails!
@kathstew:Ocean is a nice name. :) Ah, I've always wanted a sorority but it's going to be a while before I get my room. Hopefully I can get one running soon! Are the bettas in your sorority sisters or just random females?
Texas isn't solid coloured, he has green scales! :)
My tank has creeping jenny (moneywort) and anubias too! I find that bettas love to rest on Anubias, they are flat, soft, perfect!
Corydoras I think are my favorite SA fish, they are awesome! I don't want to add a school of albinos to my tank even though I want to because it has gravel, I don't tolerate Corydoras and gravel, they need sand! Heheh, I want more bettas too, but I don't have where to put them! I can't wait to have my own room, oh the potential! XD
Sadly, I don't think I can ship to Canada. :( I can't sell duckweed either, it's illegal in Texas! LOL
Texas (as in, my betta) hasn't made any bubble nests yet, probably due to the ripples the filter makes on the surface of the water, hopefully when my Ludwigia and Creeping Jenny emerge they can make a suitable net for his bubble nest. :) Only a few more inches for the tallest Ludwigia! :D Texas is really tiny, he's barely 2 inches including tail. :)
Ah, your sorority sounds adorable! XD LOL, poor plakat, you know, betta sexism these days. :P

Last edited by limeslide; 06-18-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #10 
limeslide

W00t! Texas looks very healthy and he is always flaring at everything and showing his fins off, and he loves to explore his tank! He looks so happy! :) He finally ate, too! He's a spoiled brat so he only eats bloodworms, he won't take pellets! >______> He loves to dig in the gravel! He's actually made some mounds of gravel with his mouth and it's so adorable! :P I might switch the tank to sand one day. :D
Excuse the glare and water spots! D:

This one is VERY BLURRY but I shows off his finnage greatly, it's awesome!

Here's Mr. Appleface and the white spots on the driftwood are Nerite eggs!

Last edited by limeslide; 06-21-2011 at 05:08 PM.