Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #1 
BettaParent89

Exclamation Should I take this heater back?

Hello to all. We just recently purchased a heater about two days ago for our Betta, Bart, at the local Walmart. Although it says on the box that it's supposed to be preset and ready to go for 78 degrees plus or minus 2, it has been keeping it at a steady 74 degrees. And just yesterday we've noticed Bart is looking a little constipated, so today we are starting to fast him for a couple of days and then feed him peas (that's what we read to do). We also just started him on an aquarium salt treatment in his brand new 2 gallon tank for his fin rot. Should we return the heater? or is 74 degrees sufficient enough? Thanks.
BettaParent89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #2 
SillyCone

did you have a thermometer to double-check the temp while testing the new heater?

Also I think adjustable heaters are better imo.. ugh.
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #3 
BettaParent89

Yeah, we also bought a thermometer that goes up by 2's and that's in his tank as well. So we've been monitoring that to see what the temp is.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #4 
SnowySurface

The heater in my tank is non-adjustable and only guarantees to increase the temperature by 5 degrees. So, if the water is ever 70 degrees on it's own, it's only going to increase to 75 degrees. If it's hot where you are and you constantly run the AC, the heater would have a hard time keeping the temperature up even if it isn't broken. The heater may guarantee 78 degrees, but if the room is 68 degrees, a 10 degree increase may be more than the heater can handle. I know I can't get AC happy with my heaters. >.<
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #5 
gummi

I bought the preset 78 degree Tetra heater for 2-15 gallon tanks from Walmart also. Mine would not heat my 5 gallon tank to over 75 degrees. I took it back and bought the Hagen Elite Mini and haven't had any more problems. I've read some positive reviews about the Tetra heaters, so my guess is that they're just not set consistently from the manufacturer.
gummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

I have the same stupid heater. I had it in my 5 gallon but it kept the temp at 72. I put it in a 3 gallon and it barely keeps it at 75
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #7 
BettaParent89

We may just do the same then because eventhough it's keeping the water at a steady 74 degrees, from what I have read that's not good enough and our little guy is going through a lot right now.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #8 
soccerdog693

I have had terrible luck with heaters. The pre-set heaters don't work on my 2.5 gal. I had the tetra 50 watt one that was "preset" to 78 degrees, and sometimes it would keep it at 76 before it just pooped out after a couple weeks and stopped working. Finally I bought the hydor theo 25 watt, and at least I can adjust it. Right no it's set at 71 but the temp in my aquarium is 79...? Oh well, at least I can change it to get the right temp, no matter what the dial says...
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #9 
BettaParent89

Our heater is also a Tetra 50 watt, piece of garbage. I will deffinitely be taking it back tomorrow and using the money towards a different brand. I'm looking at one from PetSmart:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2755273

Not sure if I might get this one or not, depending on what all else they have lined up at the store.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #10 
TonyK

If you can stay away from those non- adjustable heaters. You have no control on them.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
constipation, heaters