Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #1 
Rell30

I got a CT Female and a VT Male...What to do???

I have just recently brought a CT female and I already had a VT Male. Now the issue of breeding has crossed my mind. I don't know how to go about the whole introduction to each other? I've tried the introduction already and i sat the container in the tank for a while and everything seemed cool but when I put her in the male flared and chases her all the time so I removed her, of course this was only temporary for breeding purposes. What do I do?? Even after that what are the major factors that would give them both in prime breeding conditions???
Rell30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #2 
bettafish15

Well, firstly, breeding a CT to a VT creates rather undesirable fins, so finding homes could be hard.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

The first thing you need to do...research and lots of it-by your post I can tell you have not researched very much and to be successful....search and read everything you can find on the subject to gain a good understand of not just spawning...... but behaviors related to what can be expected/normal...etc.... the importance of conditioning and how/why it is done..... spawning Bettas isn't as simple as placing two fish together like with livebearers........then you have fry rearing...spawning is easy...fry rearing can be a challenge......then make a plan......set goals.....then ask questions on what was not clear.....then start gathering all the needed supplies, practice culturing live foods....get a note book and start a hand written log...this can also be helpful and something you can refer to...making list and plans.......etc.....

Spawning this species and rearing your own Bettas from spawn to adult.... can be rewarding and fun...provided that you make the effort to do your research so you are successful........

I don't want to discourage you...I just want you to be successful......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #4 
HD4life

Yes definitely do your research. I actually had a succesful spawn when I was younger but I didn't know a whole lot about breeding or fry raising so every one of my 300 fry died the first week. There is a big difference between having knowledge, putting it into action and trying your hardest to raise them and something happen so they die and they die just because your ignorant (saying that of myself) I now have a very happy healthy spawn of 75 or more week old fry and 8 adult bettas. I can say it is time consuming, you have to have patients and not rush things, it takes a lot of preperation and planning and supplies, but I have thouroughly enjoyed it. Take the nessecary steps and it will be rewarding, feel that sence of pride because your doing things right not just to do it. Visiting this site will be a great tool for you also, it has helped me out a ton! Oh btw Mu current spawn is the same cross, VT and CT Im curious as to what the finnage will be, some have told me comb tail and some of each strain.
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

IME with CT and anything else cross...you end up with reduced webbing and 99% of the fins look fine not messy just reduced webbing...1% looks pretty messy but this is when you cull......
Old 06-21-2011, 01:45 AM   #6 
Rell30

Ok thanks everyone!!! I have ben doin lots of research and i think I've narrowed it down to a couple things that play a part in their not spawning. I really am not concerned with the fins appearance because I'll love them regardless of messy tails or not as long as it causes no health issues, and wouldn't give my fish away to anyone who didn't feel the same way. As we speak I'm doing research right now and becoming more knowledgeable so I know I'll be successful in the near future. I'll keeps you guys posted
Rell30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Great...look forward to hearing about your spawns.....