Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #1 
cajunamy
Banned

Ammonia in tap water

this is also x posted on facebook, if you saw it disregard, unless you haven't answered anywhere!

does anyone have ammonia in their tap water and pre-filters it with some of those ammo chips? if so, do you have luck with it, how long does it take? I bought a filter to pre-filter my water in a 30 gallon tub. however it doesn't seem to be working. i bought a filter that has the ammonia locking chips in the filter cartidge, it's pretty small. is it that this stuff doesn't work, or is there not enough ammo chips?

i do see that this filter is meant for 6 gallons (duh didn't even think of that) but had hoped after 24 hours or so it would work ...

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...+&+Circulation
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What is the ammonia level of the source water and what type of testing product are you using, what is the pH and 24h de-gased pH.......what kind of dechlorinator are you using or have on hand
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #3 
cajunamy
Banned

from the tap it is .5 ppm. after 24 hours it is still .5. I'm using prime, which i think only detoxs for 24 hours, and in my pre-filter tub there is no constant ammonia source. I'm running 2 sponge filters in each 10 gallon divided tank. I'm wondering if I should replace one of the sponge filters for a hob? it seems no matter what i do with the tap water, nothing works, except using the RO water from the store.

the whole reason for the pre-filter tub was to use the ammon chips in there to take care of the ammonia, but after 24 hours it's the same readout

I do NOT use tap in my fry tank, only RO
Old 06-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #4 
GienahClarette

I have a ton of ammonia in my tap. I get it out with live plants, though. It works like a charm; now it never reads above 0 in the tank. :)
GienahClarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

No, no...pH... and after a 24h de-gas on the pH not ammonia....pH can change how the ammonia affect the fish.....

Prime binds with the ammonia and changes it to ammonium that is fish safe...but often the testing product will still show ammonia reading because they can't tell the difference between the two....

What kind of testing products are you using...liquid or strips....
Old 06-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #6 
cajunamy
Banned

whoops, sorry!! ph stays at 8.2 after 24 hours as well. I bring it down to about 7.8 with IAL in the pre filter tub

using API master test kit. lot number states it was made in oct 09
Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #7 
cajunamy
Banned

i have *some* plants as wwell, but not a ton. i just bought some cambomba for one tank, i really like it but haven't looked up the specifics on it. if it's ok for my lighting, ph, etc i will defintiely get more of it
Old 06-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Thats a good stem plant, however, it can be picky sometimes.....add it...plants are great for ammonia problems and since you are using Prime your tap water should be fish safe since you are dealing with ammonium and not ammonia....and the nitrifying bacteria and plants can still use it for food too.......

Be sure to dose it for the full volume of the tank and not just for the amount of replacement water as a general rule.....
Old 06-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #9 
cajunamy
Banned

so .... no prefiltering needed you think? just use prime on water change day and be done with it?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Thats what Prime is for......