Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #1 
mioumitsou

Unhappy deformed fins

i have had Jason for 3 months now and every thing was OK, until 2days ago where i notices that his fins are becoming deformed, he does not show any symptoms of fin rot (at least from what i read on the web), but instead his fins begin to look "cramped" and distorted. for example one of his pelvic fins from long and straight has crumpled in a deformed knot. his appetite is the same (i use ordinary fish food, i got from the aquarium shop). when he tries to go to the surface he struggles and usually sinks back down other than that his belly and pectoral fins from dark blue have gone white. for now i have isolated him in a small taper where he wont struggle to breath and get picked on by the other fish (when he was well the other fish didn't bother him, nor did he). my tank is about 70lt, and i do water changes 1-2 times a week 30-40%. the temp in the tank is about 24-25 c. the only thing i can think of is that i added an extra carbon sponge to the filter about 3 days ago (jewel), can this be the cause?
can sombody pls help me save jasson??
mioumitsou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum......have a few questions...

In the 70 liter or 18.5 gal tank with 75-77F water temp.....what other fish in the tank...species and number, any live plants, how long has the tank been setup any recent problems or unexplained deaths, do you have any water pram numbers for-ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, KH/GH to share and if so, type of test products used, can you post a pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #3 
mioumitsou

i will be glad to send you some pictures to help you out with my situation but i don't know how to upload them to the post... any way my tank has 6 neon ,2 pair of guppies and a pair of some orange one where i don't recall there specie... :( , the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, KH/GH will have to wait till Thursday where i will get my kit back from a friend. the brands and chemicals that i use are the following: water cleaner "tetra" "aqua safe", food "dupla rin", carbon fertilizer "easy carbo", fertilizer "deponit nutriballs" by "dennerle"
i have also noticed, now that jasson is quarantined that he is constipated..

thank you.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-17-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I would cut back on all the chemicals except for one dechlorinator that will cover chlorine and chloramine

I would make some 50% water only water changes for 2 days and then 25% water only and 50% with vacuum weekly with your stocking...kinda pushing the load.....

For your Betta-Qt in a small container that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain a water temp of 76-77F and cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ and start an Epsom salt 2tsp/gal, tannins treatment for 10-14 days.....it sounds like chemical burns and he may be going into system shut down...the Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) will help with the symptoms...this will also help with constipation
Hold all food for 3 days and then offer half feeding every other day while in treatment.....

Pre-mix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and tannins..either IAL or dried oak leaf-shake well before use..... and use this water for 100% daily water changes for 10-14 days while in the small QT container floating in the heated tank....he needs to be in this treatment water all the time....not a dip.....for the 10-14 days

Keep us posted......post your pic on your album and let me know when you post them and we will take a look...or use a host like photobucket and then you can add them to this thread......someone else will have to help you with using photobucket since I am computer challenged...laffs.....I had to have a friend come over and show me how to do it...lol....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-17-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #5 
mioumitsou

thanks for the advise i will get right on it, but you kinda lost me with " IAL or dried oak leaf-shake well before use...." can you explain to me???
one more thing, so i can understand his situation better... if he has chemichal burns shouldent the other fish in the tank also be affected??
ps uploaded some pics in album.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Some fish are more sensitive to chemicals than others....

Tannins...IAL (Indian almond leaf) dried oak leaf from oak trees..leaves that have naturally dried and fallen from the tree...either of these tannin sources can help with fin/health problems in this species...by adding one of these tannin source to the pre-mixed treatment water to steep-the longer they steep the more tannins released the darker the water the more the Betta likes it...shake well before use if you are pre-mixing the treatment water in a 1gal jug...this make water changes and correct salt dosage easier....

Tags
fin deformation, fin issue