Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #1 
sammys14

how do i move my betta fish?

i moved out of my parents house to an appartement yesterday but my fish stayed over there cause i wasnt sure how i should move them .....i have 2 bettas and they have 10 gallons each (filterd, heated,cycled ect..) do i empty both tanks completly and simply refill them at my appartment or do i have to keep a certain amount of water from each tank ?
thanks! :P
sammys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #2 
VivianKJean

Hey,

Is your parent's house close to your apartment? (this makes a difference how you "pack" your fish)

Remove your fish from the tank. You can just put them in the cups the came in from the pet store if you still have them. If not, then I suggest using some type of tupperware (make sure it have never been washed with soap or put through the dishwasher). You might need to buy new ones. Make sure to poke some holes in the top. For the ride, make sure that the cups are in a safe and secure place where they won't move around too much. You might want to find and open box to rest the cups in and then put bubble wrap or towels or something to help steady the cups. Make sure that you are driving carefully, no short stops or anything like that if you can help it.

As for your filter cartiadge or live plants - remove those and put them in their own container. You want to make sure the filter stays wet so that the bacteria doesn't die. If you put some old tank water in the container it should have enough bacteria to live on. If the drive is long, then i would add some pure ammonia into that container.

I would take as much of the old tank water as you can. Fill up some gallon bottles or whatever you have. This will also help keep your cycle.
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #3 
sammys14

yes they are very close like 5 minutes away...and i was going to just tie the wires in the back of the aquarium and leave everything in it (no water) and also leave some water in the filter if necessary . and bring my fish in like bag from the pet store
Old 06-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #4 
VivianKJean

That sounds perfect. Since they are so close you don't need to worry too much. Yes, make sure to keep the filter wet.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #5 
sammys14

do i really need to keep some water from the aquarium ....or can i leave about an inch of water in my tank and that would be fine
Old 06-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #6 
VivianKJean

leaving an inch would be fine as well
Old 06-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #7 
sammys14

thank you so much for your help! :P