Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #1 
HD4life

Good idea for juvie keepers?

I have two spawns right now that Ive been thinking what Im going to house a possible 200 males in once I need to seperate them? Well i was thinking of getting a bunch of 24oz jars or larger but Im suprized at how hard they are to find in my area. So i went to pets mart the other day and found those pet keepers, its a little less than half a gallon but way more than 24oz the typical betta cup you find at pet stores. I found a wholesale website that I can buy them for 1.40 each vrs the 4.99 price. Do you think this is a good size for temporary homes?
Attached Images

HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

When I cupped/carded my males..I used canning jars...started with pint size and moved up to quart size....dropped a floating plant in them...water lettuce and naja grass and made 100% daily water changes with oak leaf tanned well water....I would have 80 or so jars going and it became work....lol.....

I found that I got best, faster body and fin growth by using smaller container that limited movement and damage to fins....along with great water quality and nutrition.....

I started a different breeding project due to it becoming work some years ago and now I have been able to keep male and females long term together without fighting in large heavy planted tanks...this didn't happen over night..... it took a couple of generations to get them to this point....all fish are related in some way or another...

Those containers would work and look like you could even stack them since the air vents are on the side, you could either paint the sides or use dark paper attached so they couldn't see each other....$1.40 each is a pretty good price......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #3 
HD4life

I have a 55 gallon now YAY! Im sure that is large enough to house all the females together, I think these containers will be good, I measured the container I brought him home in and it was only 12 oz, and those are the large ones! I like the square because it will be easier to stack, make rows with cards or whatever and to take better pictures of the males. I just have no idea how many I really need lol, I have one spawn, 2 weeks old now and there are still 120 or more fry, the other hatched a few days ago with at least 350 lol If they do as well as the first I could need 250 or more! Im going to start buying 10-15 every week and that may help.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

You never know how many you will end up with....

And the ugly part of spawning...... you also need to take into account...culling......generally, I roughly cull 50% the first 2 weeks and again in another 30 days and at 3mo I may cull another 10% of what I have left....but this also depends on the goal of that spawn...some I have culled down to 20 from really large spawns.....by keeping every fry can make it harder to meet goals....and this is often the hardest part for some breeders.......destroying fry......but it is necessary IMO/E......

One of my goals is quality not quantity and sadly this means even some healthy fry will be destroyed......this varies with breeders and goals.....

I guess that means you bought the used 55gal and not new 30gal....awesome and yes, great to grow out females......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #5 
YoshesMom

i went to my local st vincents and picked up canning jars for 25 cents a piece it was awesome! try there goodwill is on the more expensive side
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #6 
HD4life

I think for me.. At this point culling will consist of any unhealthy and weak, deformed or really messy finned fry. I'm not really going for quantity but I don't think I will cull if they are healthy. I am only starting out though and if I get into the more particular strains I may cull more, I was noticing at the pet store the other day most fish labeled delta or half-moon were obviously CT mixes of some sort. My goal will to have true strains and the occasional experiment, more so with colors than crosses though.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Gladware containers would work as temporary housing for babies if you get some that are big enough.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:46 PM   #8 
russalka

I bought jars on sale from Hobby Lobby. I think that they were $3 each on sale.
russalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #9 
LittleNibbles93

I've been wondering this question too, and I have the same Pet keeper! (only a pink lid lol). I really like them, whats the site you're getting them off of? I plan on doing some breeding someday (after we move out of my aunts house) and I want to have an idea where to get stuff. Having a bunch of Pet keepers would be way better then buying all sorts of jars and vases of medium size.
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #10 
HD4life

I agree, they are all the same size, about the same price and much easier to take quality pics in a clear square container. I figure its plenty of room for them to grow without being cramped. Im pretty sure it was "ultimate sales" that I found the minis for 1.40$