Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2011, 02:10 AM   #1 
Neems

Question to cross or not to cross???

I have a lovely little blue regular female, I'm not sure if I should purchase a regular male or a twin tail male to be her mate. Any suggestions ? I'm not sure if crossing her would have nice results :/

by the way I have had fish all my life, have done my research and consider myself ready to spawn a pair of Betta, I am simply not familiar with the genetics quite yet. :) would love some help
Neems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:35 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

HI, and welcome to the forum.

It all depends on your goal, Do you want DT or ST. If you want DT, then you must pair her to one and select the best DT out of the offspring and breed them for F2. But if you want ST, you don't need a DT.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:49 AM   #3 
Neems

Alright that sounds great, thanks for the help :)
Old 06-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #4 
Neems

Do you have any suggestions what to feed the once they finish their yolk sacs? Iv heard so many contradicting things, some say baby brine shrimp are fine and some say they don't work.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #5 
HD4life

I have to say if you dont know what to feed the fry thats not enough research. IMO Take some more time and be prepared, and get all your supplies, then spawn. I use micro worms and my fry are pretty round and happy so far, I introduced BBS yesterday and only about half of them have accepted at a week old. I think its a little easier for them to eat once they are a little older, but there have been varying opinions at what age BBs is best to feed. Micro worms, vinegar eels, baby brine shrimp and walter worms are of the more popular choices, just remember most worm cultures take a few days to a week before they can be harvested so set them up before spawning as well.
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #6 
Neems

Thanks for the reply =, and dont worry I have not even bought my pair yet I am still doing my homework on it. Before I spawn I want to have a good culture of some sort to feed the fry but was conflicted with micro worms, bbs or some sort of fungus? anyways thanks :) now I must find where I can get some 0_0
Old 06-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #7 
DarkMoon17

IMO it is all about variety. I feed mine a mixture of microworms, walter worms, and banana worms for the first 2 weeks (you can buy these cultures in a set on Aquabid). If the fry aren't particularly keen on the worms, I begin offering bbs as early as 3 days after they have become free swimming but I continue to offer worms as well. I don't like starting off right away with bbs though since I have heard it can cause jaw problems if the fry are to small (wether that is true or not I do not know). At around 2 weeks I begin offering powdered foods like Atison's Fry starter in addition to bbs....
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #8 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neems View Post
Do you have any suggestions what to feed the once they finish their yolk sacs? Iv heard so many contradicting things, some say baby brine shrimp are fine and some say they don't work.

Well in my Experience and Opinion, BBS works amazingly great! I have been using it on EVERY one of my spawns and thats pretty much the only think i use until they are bigger.

You shouldnt ONLY use BBS though, because the fry should get a variety of live foods. Though you CAN just use BBS.

It works good and i will continue to use it.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #9 
HD4life

@ NEEMS I can send you a culture of micro worms if you want, I just started 3 new cultures and have enough to start 3 more, too much for my one current spawn lol. Just message me and we can work something out if you want.
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #10 
Neems

Thanks Darkmoon and bettalover :) I have found a gorgeous little red bt doubletail XD hes very small probably young so Ill have to wait till hes bigger :) my female looks like a plakat?? shes a cutie :)

Last edited by Neems; 06-22-2011 at 12:07 AM.