Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2011, 05:51 AM   #1 
Tikibirds

Question Is this heater any good?

I'm having a hard time finding heaters for smaller tanks. I have a tetra 50 watt heater that is supposed to be for heaters between 5-10 gallons but it can barely keep my 3 gallon above 75.

I live in Fairbanks, Alaska which is smack dab in the middle of nowhere. So if its not sold locally, I have to have it shipped to me. The nearest city is 8 hours south

anyways, what I want to know is does anyone have this heater?

Hydor MINI HEATER Aquarium Heater 7.5 Watts for Tanks 2-5 gal

It's only $10 and I need 3 of them so I really don't want to pay too much more. Neither petco or walmart have small heaters, besides the tetra one.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #2 
soccerdog693

It's an awful heater. I tried two of them and they BARELY kept my tank at 75 degrees, and I know other people have had worse experience. I highly recommend the Hydor Theo 25 watt. It's worth the extra money.

But I'm confused - didn't you say you already had the tetra 50 watt in this thread, and say you didn't like it?

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=72855
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:32 AM   #3 
soccerdog693

OOOP!!! Sorry, I misread your post!!! Thought you were asking about the tetra, not the hydor - sorry!

Anyways - the preset cheap heaters IMHO are never good.
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

I would try to get something adjustable...The preset ones rarely work..Especially if your house temperature changes..And they usually only raise the temp a few degrees...I keep our house thermostat at 77 degrees and the tetra preset only kept my tank at 75-76.
The thing with the hydor is I don't believe it has a shut off if it gets too hot...so you would have to keep a close eye on it...
I would try to order something online if you cant find anything local...I have heard the elite mini works well and so do the Jebo heaters..I haven't tried either yet...I found a cheap adjustable heater at pet supermarket..it is called a cascade heat...It works really well so far...
http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Mini-Sub...8317478&sr=8-1
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-JEBO-25-W-Aq...item53dd4df9e9
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #5 
fishman12

I had to constantly monitor the temp when I got the Hydor cause it didn't shut off.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Hagen Mini Submersible Heater 25 Watt
That's the one I wanted but everytime i tried to order it, amazon said it can;t be shipped here

The temp in here varies widly. When its in the 70's outside its in the lower 90's in here but when its -45 outside, i'm lucky if its 50 in here.

I do want one that shuts of if it gets to hot.

That Jebo one sounds good but the seller only ships to the lower 48.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-17-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #7 
gummi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
That's the one I wanted but everytime i tried to order it, amazon said it can;t be shipped here
Why not just order from a different supplier? That heater is available from tons of online vendors.
gummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #8 
Littlebittyfish

hm...I tried to find a place online that would ship to Alaska...They were all pretty expensive for shipping! i had no idea...
I found this place on yellowpages:
http://www.yellowpages.com/fairbanks...82?lid=8924582
Dunno if you have any other petstores but I would try and talk Petco or another local store into special ordering a few heaters...Seems to me it may be the best bet.
I hear the hydor adjustable heaters are good too...
Old 06-21-2011, 04:07 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

Quote:
hm...I tried to find a place online that would ship to Alaska...They were all pretty expensive for shipping! i had no idea...
Tell me about it!

I know where Fishtopia is, however i haven't been there. I have heard some horrible stories about it though. Supposedly it makes Petco look like fishie heaven. I may go and have a look on wednesday.

I did get one off ebay from Hong Kong that uses the US voltage system. The heater was $1 but the shipping was $10. It's 50 watts and I plan on using it in the 5 gallon. I'm hoping it works OK but i still need a few 25 watt ones for the smaller tanks. I'm wondering if getting a 10 gallon and dividing it may be cheaper?

I have tried looking at other vendors online but wither the shipping is too much or they use the 220 volt system.

Are these any good? I havent been able to find any reviews for it online anywhere = which sends up some warning flags.

http://cgi.ebay.com/25-Watt-Aquarium...item43a7bf5809

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-21-2011 at 04:11 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #10 
Littlebittyfish

I was curious about those too! I haven't tried one though...If you try it let us know how it goes. I use two cheapo penn plax 50 watt heaters in my 3 gallons.. they are only 2 star heaters on all the online reviews...but I love them! so you never know..