Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2011, 02:48 AM   #1 
Sakura8

Hornwort Shedding Everywhere!

Like I don't get enough shedding from my 8 cats. This hornwort I just bought (assuming Petsmart is labeling this plant correctly) is shedding all over in a small container. It shed tons in the bag on the way home, too. Should I put this in a tank or not? And can it be a floating plant? I mean, does it need to be planted in the substrate or can it free float?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:21 AM   #2 
rogue619

Hornwort is known to do that when it is stressed or acclimating to new water. Yes, it can float just fine.
rogue619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:56 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Mine must've been major stressed then 'cause it's all over. What will happen to the stuff it sheds when I put it into the tank? And what will the stuff do to my filter? Or should I wait for it to destress and stop shedding first?

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:35 AM   #4 
Wyvern

I would let it destress first. Mine did that and it took me 2 weeks of every second day gravel vacs to get rid of the needles. Wont get it again.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #5 
Nymmers

Mine always does that. I rinse it before putting it in the tank, because I hate its little leaves all over my sand, and it STILL does it. I've given up. lol.
Nymmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Uh, do I really want this plant in my tank after all? I'm the neurotic cleanly kind, not sure I want these little needle things everywhere . . . darn, shoulda researched before purchase.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #7 
fishman12

Well if you kept the reciept you can return I think.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Might try that. Or else . . . well, they aren't THAT expensive. Vacuuming fish poo is bad enough, I don't think I want to have to vacuum needles every hour, either. I was looking for a nice floating plant but it can float right out to the lawn and garden bin.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

I haven't had much luck keeping hornwort alive...It really must hate my water params..It made such a mess in my tank...Got into my filter too... >_<
I ended up moving my fish into a bigger tank..so I cleaned out the smaller tank..and even after rinsing it in the tub there were still little pieces from the hornwort in the smaller tank...haha
Wisteria is nice floatedthe roots look neat when they grow downward.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Well, in a way I'm glad to hear all this. When I got it home and it looked so bad, I thought, "Dang, my Petsmart tricked me again and sold me a non-aquatic plant." At least this time Petsmart was honest. Although I did find a dead crowntail while I was there. :( But this stupid thing . . . it's now residing at the bottom of the lawn and garden bin and good riddance. I'll try your suggestion, Littlebittyfish, and get wisteria. Thanks for all the input, everyone, you've helped a ton and probably saved me a lot of work.