Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #1 
Tanni

Question The banning of Goldfish and Tropical fish in San Francisco

It might soon be illegal to buy goldfish in San Francisco. The city's Animal Control and Welfare Commission is pushing for a ban because it says the mass breeding of the fish is inhumane. The proposed bill would also outlaw the sale of tropical fish and renew a ban on hamsters, kittens, and puppies. The commission wants to discourage "impulse buys" of these pets, which sometimes end up abandoned in shelters. Reactions are all over Twitter, where one person has said, "San Fran finally found an 'impulse' they didn't like."

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/blogs/tre...311027.html?nc

What do you think about this?
Tanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #2 
bettafish15

lol good thing I'm in Canada
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #3 
Tanni

Bettas are tropical fish, so it appears that you won't be able to purchase them in San Francisco. If you aren't allowed to purchase fish, hamsters, kittens, and puppies then what pets are you allowed to have?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #4 
SillyCone

What if you go to another state to buy them and bring them to your home? O.o'

I think it's good they want to stop the mass breeding and bad treatment from owners but banning it seems like a lazy-cheap resolution for the problem. :P
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #5 
xMandy

I get where theyre going and it's great..but god knows people are going to be hiding their byb programs and making the animals worse.ick..
And yeah.. Does that mean they can go else where and get the animals?
I mean puppies and kittens are just dogs and cats..so is that banning them? What about rescues adopting out there?
Confused.. Lol
xMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #6 
Tanni

The Animal Control means well, but their plans are just plain confusing. What if you have these pets and you are moving to San Francisco? How will the Animal Control and Animal Shelters stay in business? What happens if you already have these pets in your home (in San Francisco) and they ban the animals? There are so many great questions to ask these people. It does seem like they're being rather lazy about fixing the problem...
Old 06-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #7 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

I remember when San Fransisco was still part of the United States... *sigh*

Land of the brave, home of the FREE...

Now its the land of the insane, and home of the free-loaders. No wonder Michael Savage calls the place 'San FranSICKO'.

There are bad pet breeders, bad pet stores, and bad pet owners. Step up enforcement? Nah, can't pay for that. Take away everyone's freedom. Why, that's the perfect solution!

I can't wait for marijuanna to be totally legal in CA... because as soon as they do that, they'll tax the heck out of it, and ban everyone from smoking it!

I'm sorry, I seem to be wandering a little OT... now where were we? Banning pets. Oh yes... they can have my bettas when they pry them out of my cold, dead fingers! >:(
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #8 
SillyCone

But you're not in San Fransisco, right?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=new%...-8&sa=N&tab=il
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #9 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Ah Silly Cone...

Just like the Nazis & the Third Reich, bad government and ideas travel fast.
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #10 
copperarabian

O.O nooooos, I love the big pet store in china town! (I don't think puppy's and kittens should be sold Unless it's like adoption rescue) the entire downstairs is a big aquarium and their fish always seem so healthy and it's only a few blocks from one of my school buildings, And they have big pools with tons of different types of gold fish and koi and they aren't stuffed full. Although the bettas don't seem all that different from other chain pet stores :( I love going in and petting the parrots when they have species I know how to handle. And every time I see puppies in pet stores I always get a little sad, puppies should be played with a lot....

And I haven't been to the oceans aquarium in the SF tenderloin that is one of the highest rated fish stores in the bay area O.O They won't sell you fish unless you bring them a water sample. and they also carry bettas (But I've heard you don't need a water sample for them).... :( I would of already of gone there if it wasn't in the tenderloin, kinda scary over on that side of town XD

I hope this won't be effective in the entire SF bay area, I'm in the south bay and love a few of the pet stores.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote