Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #1 
vette91

Betta's in the mail

I should be receiving some bettas from NIB's Blackfire spawn today and this is the first time I have ever had a fish mailed to me. is there anything specific you like to do to them to keep them healthy as they acclimate to their new tanks?
Obviously i'm going to soak their bags for a few hours and put a drop of the tank water in but is their anything i should know to keep them healthy/ bring them back to health if the trip was hard?
Do I need to feed them any specific foods or anything?
vette91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

If they are fry, then yes, you might need special food. I would ask NIB what they ate and what they need at this point in their development.

As for acclimating, open the box they come in in a dark room, as too much light too fast will shock them. Acclimate in dark, too.

Acclimate by adding in like a tbsp or so of new tank water every 5 minutes. If the bag gets full, dump some out and do it more.
Id do it for about an hour, because theyre young and may not be from around where you are.

(I did this will all my shipped fish)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #3 
vette91

they are fry but they are a few months old. But thanks PewPewPew :) I just have to wait for the post to get here now.
vette91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #4 
nel3

would it be best to put a new shipped fish into a small qt tank just incase b4 putting it in a new 2.5 gal? the one i purchased from aquabid has a filtered 2.5 gal waiting for it. its going to be shipped near the end of the month date not confirmed yet. would a week in a .5 gal be ok b4 putting it in the 2.5g?
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

It wouldnt be any different, no. Id say put him in the 2.5.

The most important part is making sure you properly acclimate the fish, as above.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #6 
nel3

ty pew pew, i hope i have the time to pick it up and acclimate it. i will try my best to acclimate it for 1hr, depends on which day it arrives. my work schedule is different to say the least i never have the same day of the week continuously. 1 week i have tuesday off (+long weekend) next week its thursday (no long weekend). only advantage is i arrive home at 3pm on working days. which might make it impossible to pick it up 3-6 hrs when it arrives at transhippers house.

right now the 2.5 gal (brand new) is in the box and has not been set up. how long would it take to do so and can i cycle a 2.5g?

Last edited by nel3; 06-17-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #7 
Neil D

A 2.5 G won't hold a cycle too well. Just do 100% weekly water changes considering u have a filter good luck!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #8 
nel3

ty Neil, a 50wc 3-4 days in would probably help water quality.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

It probably would take a few months to cycle. I'd set the tank up whenever you have the time. Put the filter in (if you have one), the water, the gravel or whatever and let it run for a while before you get the fish and then put him in when you get him. Acclimate for at least 20 minutes, but longer is better :)
Old 06-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #10 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
It probably would take a few months to cycle. I'd set the tank up whenever you have the time. Put the filter in (if you have one), the water, the gravel or whatever and let it run for a while before you get the fish and then put him in when you get him. Acclimate for at least 20 minutes, but longer is better :)
how long is a while? i dont think we'll be going to the states for 2 weeks and the tank is there. worst case it'll go into the .5gal and then into the 2.5 after its picked up and ran for 3 days.