Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #11 
Tanni

Lol, I just wanted to make sure that I didn't make him upset. Since I've added the plants he's been a lot more active. At first I had the Atlantis Castle and the smaller Atlantis Temple, but I'm suprised how adding five small plants has made such a difference. I use the marble things for a gravel because when I was younger I had purchased Goldfish with gravel and they kept dying. I decided to get another Goldfish one day and chose to get the marbles and the Goldfish didn't die. I know for a fact that the Goldfish I purchased were healthy. I no longer feel comfortable with using gravel because of what happened. I also find the marbles to be more decorative and safe because the gravel looked all pointy and bumpy while the marbles were smooth. Is it wierd that I have two large nets and a smaller net? Is it wierd that I have two flake containers and a granule container? I feel like I'm being over-protective.
Tanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #12 
Sakura8

I have two different kinds of pellets and a third is on its way in the mail, plus frozen bloodworms and frozen daphnia and freeze-dried bloodworms. Also two nets, but I found the less stressful way of getting them out is to scoop them out with a cup. Lot of times, the suction of the cup draws them in and you just have to act quickly to get the cup out of the water before they swim out. Uhm, spare plants, spare hiding holes (in the form of clean PVC pipe), extra heaters . . . nope, you're not being over-protective at all. You're being a betta owner.

Did the pet store employee tell you how to suck the detritus out from the gravel? Same thing with the marbles, you'll want to use the hose to suck all the poo and uneaten food out from between the marbles.

Only time you'll upset Ahto is when you fast him. Some bettas will sulk during fast day. Mine bit me and then hid for the day in his little cave. He also bit me, twice, after I sucked him up the hose.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #13 
Tanni

The employee who told me that a filter isn't necessary yet and recommended a siphon brought me to the back and set up one of her own. She explained to me and showed me how to do it right there. She even made me do it a little just to get myself used to using it. I'm completely satisfied with the service at the shop. However, I'm having difficulties getting it to do the siphon action. It's the siphon that you must shake to start the process. I have to keep rapidly shaking it and I'm not sure if that's what I'm supposed to be doing. The one that she had was hooked to a drain and it was the same one, but she didn't keep shaking it. I'm so clueless about some of this stuff that it's a bit embarrassing.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #14 
Sakura8

Don't worry about it. There are a lot of ways to start a siphon. Obviously, the easiest is to hook it to a faucet and let the faucet start it but it only works if you have a faucet really close (I don't, alas!). It sounds like the one you have, you must move the end in the water up and down repeatedly to start a suction. Like . . . you know how you have to pump the thingee on a new bottle of handsoap a few times before any soap will come out? You have to do that because you need air in there to start a suction that will draw the soap up into the tube. Same thing with the hose, you need air to draw the water up. If that fails, put one end in the tank and suck on the other end until you see water filling the hose. Then put your finger over the end until you can get it into a bucket or whatever you use to empty the water into. I'll warn you, a lot of the times you may get some tank water in your mouth using the sucking method. I spit it out so fast . . . ugh. But it works.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:58 PM   #15 
Tanni

It would be disgusting to get a mouth full of aquarium water, but it can't be as bad as what our ancestors had to drink and digest. If I get some inside my mouth I'll probably spit it out and wash my mouth out with Listerine after brushing my teeth and tounge. My mouth would be extremely minty afterwards.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #16 
Sakura8

You're right there with the water and our ancestors. It's no wonder so many of our ancestors died of plagues and parasites. Bleeeeech.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:30 PM   #17 
Tisia

way I usually start the siphon is stick the tube into the water and fill it with water, then you turn the open end up and lift it out of the water so it starts draining down the hose, then once it's getting going but before the tube is out of water, stick it back into the tank
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:37 PM   #18 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisia View Post
way I usually start the siphon is stick the tube into the water and fill it with water, then you turn the open end up and lift it out of the water so it starts draining down the hose, then once it's getting going but before the tube is out of water, stick it back into the tank
Sounds a lot better than getting mouthfuls of tankwater. ^_^ And I hate it when I lose the suction and have to restart it after the end has been in the dirty water for a while. I go to get it and see all the fish poo I've vacuumed out and then I think, "I have to stick my mouth on THIS?" But I can't get any other method to work.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #19 
Tisia

I tried the suck start method, got like 2 drops of water in my mouth and it still wasn't actually started and I went searching for another method, lol. I'm not really a germaphobe but there are certain things that just skeeve me out
Old 06-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #20 
Tisia

found a video of the method I use, except I don't plug the end