Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #1 
Kiwimommy

Should I remove her or leave her be?

I conditioned my male and female and then had her in one of those petsmart betta cups for a couple days.
She seemed ready, he built a nest and hovered around where she was, flashing his fins, flaring a bit..
So I finally let her go and there was a game of chase, then it'd stop, then start.. Nothing serious. But in the process, she kept going to check out the bubble nest and when he chased her, she'd mess up part of it..
Now the nest is smaller, but the bubbles are bigger.. seems both of them are blowing bubbles into it.
I keep catching her hovering under him, barely touching his fins, and he hovers around her.. It's very cute!
But they haven't spawned yet.. and I'm not sure if they're going to get serious about the nest..
Should I just remove her?
Kiwimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #2 
Kiwimommy

They're still together this morning, swimming side by side around the tank, but hovering around where the bubble nest was.. Looks like they aren't working on it, but I'm not sure..
Old 06-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #3 
HD4life

Each male is different when it comes to nesting, my first spawn the male didn't care about his nest until he was actually putting the eggs in it, then it got huge. Some build a super nest before they even spawn. Just keep an eye on them to be sure it doesnt turn to aggresive, but it sounds like they are getting closer to spawning.
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #4 
Kiwimommy

She has some slightly torn fins from the chasing, but hasn't had any new fin tears since..and they're definitely hanging out 24/7.. always right next to eachother :) She's HUGE (full of eggs) and has gotten bigger since I put them together.
I'm so impatient :P
Old 06-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #5 
HD4life

Im sure they will be spawning soon, betta "courtship" can be different from one spawn to the next so behavior is a little hard to predict. There will almost always be torn fins but if you see any body bites, that might be the time to remove her. If she is not totally scared hiding from him then hes not being aggresive.
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #6 
Kiwimommy

Peeked in a couple hours ago when I was putting my toddler to bed and it looks like the male is FINALLY starting to rebuild his bubble nest.
I noticed the one blowing the HUGE bubbles was the female..and she was blowing a decent amount, but also all over the place.. One over here, then one over here..then there.. and there.. bahaha she's clueless..
At least the male knows where to put the bubbles..
Good thing the male will be caring for the eggs and fry, eh?
I don't even want to begin to think of what this girl would do if females hatched the fry..
Fingers crossed that they get down to business soon!
Old 06-19-2011, 12:55 AM   #7 
Adrienne

"I noticed the one blowing the HUGE bubbles was the female..and she was blowing a decent amount, but also all over the place.. One over here, then one over here..then there.. and there.. bahaha she's clueless.."

I giggled at this so much! Good luck with them!
Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:19 AM   #8 
Kiwimommy

and still... NOTHING! Argh. I swear, they decided to just be friends.
No more nipping, some slight chasing here and there.. Ugh..
Old 06-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #9 
INHouseofBettas

I have a pair in one of my breeding tanks right now that are equally as frustrating. I woke up this morning and they were napping in the plants...side-by-side. I swear, if they could be holding hands, they could be. I've watched her approach him all docile and submissive and he just covers her with his tail and turns away and resumes his restful state. Mind you, they started off just fine. And she still has extremely evident vertical bars, especially for being such a light-colored betta and she's pretty "eggy." But they'd rather just hang out together....
INHouseofBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #10 
Kiwimommy

Well, I put her back in the cup for about a day or so and when I woke up this morning, Agent had built a very pretty bubble nest!
I let her back out...
and he's chasing her around.. *sigh*
Hopefully he relaxes soon and they get to work.