Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #1 
fightergirl2710

Question Rescued two betta yesterday, still won't eat!

Hi, This is my first post, I have five betta fish and I have been stalking this forum for a long time and have had a lot of help lol!
I went to the fish store last night and saw a 2.5 gallon tank with atleast 30 betta (all juvies) in there, with no filter or heater and mucky water, they all had bits of fins and scales missing and were bullying each other! I couldn't stand it and I bought 2 of the healthier looking ones: a steel blue DBT and a turquoise/ blue ST, I think they are plain ol' veiltails otherwise. Right now I have them in temporary setups i.e. gallon bowls with a few floating plants.
I gave them a bloodworm and a pellet each but neither touched their food. I thought they must be settling in. Today again I did the same, the DBT looks at the food but ignores it and the other guy nibbled a bit of the pellet and spat out the worm. Can anyone tell me why they are still not eating? They're very active but refuse to eat! Should I be worried? All my others have been little pigs as soon as I have got them. Is it because these guys are young? They are only an inch long, fins and all. Sorry for the long post, I'm really worried!
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #2 
BrookeGrace

Hi! Welcome! =D

I think it's a good sign that they at least acknowledge the food. Maybe means they are getting closer to having an appetite. I was worried for awhile because mine wasn't able to swallow or digest the pellets, so someone here suggested soaking the pellet first in water to make it softer, and cutting it in half to make it smaller. It worked! He instantly gobbled the pieces up and was happier. :0) That might be one thing to consider doing.

Maybe they just weren't being fed well or enough at the store, so they aren't used to proper feedings.

Hope this helps! I'm not much of an expert, but it seems like it usually does take a few days for them to be comfortable eating and living in their new home. :)
BrookeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If your guys are just juvies, then their mouths are going to be super tiny. I would suggest you get New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula .5 mm Sinking Pellets. These pellets are small, seriously small. Your little guys should be able to easily eat them. One note of caution is that it's easy to overfeed with these pellets 'cause they're so small so just keep an eye on your fish.

Another thing to consider is you haven't had your guys for long so it'll take them a bit to settle in and get an appetite. The hardest thing about getting a new betta is waiting for them to settle in. It's sooooo easy to worry when they aren't eating. And every betta is different, some settle in and eat right away and others take a long time. Just hang in there and keep an eye on them, they'll come around.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:09 AM   #4 
fightergirl2710

Thanks for the welcome :D and the replies!
Yes, they are very tiny, they must be the smallest betta I've seen for sale. I really doubt I'll be able to find the pellets you're talking about Sakura but I did find something called micro pellets which are for fry, do you guys think those would be ok? I think they are starting to adjust a bit right now. They have become more interested in the pellets I crushed up and gave them ( I had a surprise batch of molly fry in my other tank last week, they get the same.) They don't gobble them up but at least acknowledge the pellets' presence. :P
I think I should wait for them to adjust a bit more, they were in very traumatic conditions where they came from and I agree with Brooke, God knows how much they were fed there. The one thing I find really hilarious is that they spit out blood worms! My other betta give me looks of disdain if I give them anything but blood worms!
I really hope they do come around, they're real sweethearts!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:20 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Yeah, I have a feeling your fry food is probably the same size as the food I give my girl. And it sounds like your bettas aren't much older than fry. You can try it, it can't hurt. It is funny they shunned the bloodworms. Usually everyone has to resort to bloodworms to get them to eat, not resort to pellets. But I hope they come around soon too. They're just babies, poor things, they must be nervous.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #6 
fightergirl2710

Sigh, still not eating! And the VT is now being very clamped up and a bit unresponsive, I'm getting really worried now, he also seems to be developing some stress stripes on the front of his body. I'm going to do a partial water change and see if it helps... Any suggestions?
Old 06-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #7 
kgs1992

Hey, that was really nice of you to help the poor fellas!
Now, I'm not an expert, nor should I be giving advise, but I had read this somewhere, you can try it out, you won't lose much anyway.

Add a pellet to a solution of garlic in water & let it soak for 15 mins.
[You can make the solution by crushing a few pieces of garlic and adding it to a small quantity (say about 100ml) of water and leaving it to stand for a few mins.
Or by adding a tea spoon of pure (100%) garlic powder to 100ml of water.]
Now, take out the pellet, and put it in the tank & hopefully, they will come up to eat it.

Hope this helps! :)

PS: Since the fins are camped and it looks like he may get ill, just add a solution of aquarium salt to the tank, it works magic sometimes! Remember not to add the salt directly but instead as a solution. Betta fish are fresh water fish and aquarium salt in excess wouldn't be too good on them.

Last edited by kgs1992; 06-12-2011 at 08:25 AM.
kgs1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #8 
fightergirl2710

=) Thanks! I couldn't stand seeing them that way! I've heard about the garlic thing as well but I didn't want to try anything without knowing the consequences... I'll research it a bit more and maybe try it. I always put aquarium salt in my tanks, really does wonders! Helps my turtle too :P... I did a partial water change right now, I'm keeping an eye on him. I'll try the garlic, if worst comes to worst I hope it causes nothing more than a smelly tank lol! Thanks for the advice :D
Old 06-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #9 
kgs1992

I tried it for my previous betta 'cuz he wouldn't eat the pellets I fed him, and he seemed to like it, but I couldn't do that everyday, so I bought micropellets instead.
Micropellet is good too, that's what I feed my betta.
Keep us updated!

PS: It's worse come to worst, not worst comes to worst.. :P (Yeah, I love rectifying other people's English, no offence intended! :D )

Last edited by kgs1992; 06-12-2011 at 09:06 AM.
kgs1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:23 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgs1992 View Post
I tried it for my previous betta 'cuz he wouldn't eat the pellets I fed him, and he seemed to like it, but I couldn't do that everyday, so I bought micropellets instead.
Micropellet is good too, that's what I feed my betta.
Keep us updated!

PS: It's worse come to worst, not worst comes to worst.. :P (Yeah, I love rectifying other people's English, no offence intended! :D )
Kgs, you're just like me. I'm always correcting people's grammar . . . hey, it just dawned on me, no wonder I don't have any friends.

Fightergirl, I've heard of the garlic solution too. Garlic is actually a good additive to help them ward off stress and some super high quality pellets (that I can't find anywhere around where I live) even have garlic as an ingredient.

I hope your VT unclamps soon. What is the temperature in your tanks and do you have heaters for them? Bettas are tropical fish and need warm waters around 78-80 degrees farenheit so you'll need small heaters for each tank if you don't have them already.

Tags
juvenile eating feeding