Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2011, 12:59 AM   #1 
Marvogin

HELP please! Gills are HUGE.

I was away for a few days (three) to see a friend who just had a baby and I left my sister to care for my betta. The second day we were in the city (far far away...) she said that he was eating and that he was fine when before he didn't eat.

Anyway, I get home, and there's a pellet of food in the tank uneaten, and he's hiding in the fake plants. (I can't see him, (and think he's dead because my sister was taking care of him and she's the type to just throw away a dead fish and not tell anyone about it until they find out themselves. But she did care for him) so I reach in and I accidentally scare him out of his plants.

Then when he's there, he sinks to the bottom (but not quite all the way, he's not resting in the gravel or anything) and he just sits there.

Okay, on to the gill issue. His gills are up, (or at least not resting in place) and his airways are working really hard, just opening and closing, (they're pretty big too) When his gills move his mouth opens a little too. He's not bloated that I can tell, and he doesn't have white dots on him, but he's changed from blue to a kind of blue-pink on his body and his GILLS ARE HUGE. :'O

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal.
What temperature is your tank? N/A
Does your tank have a filter? Yes but sometimes I don't use it. (at night) And I still need to baffle it.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes but it's a crappy heater that isn't settable. (A new one is coming in the mail hopefully soon.)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Nobody

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day with two pellets.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Around 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

I plan on getting a stick-on thermometer and a water tester when I get to Walmart tomorrow.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Body went from blue to pale blue/pink. His gills are HUGE, and they aren't flat against his body.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's lethargic (he usually swims around except for when he's sleeping)
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today, and few minutes ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, but when I go to Petco I'm going to get some aquarium salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He's new to me so I don't know. He seemed pretty healthy in a crappy little tup filled with poop at Walmart.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Don't know. But he's pretty small.
Marvogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:41 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Can you possibly post a pic? It's hard to visualize, as betta's gills can get large for any reason and some of them are harmless. If not, let me know and I think I can find some pics that you might be able to use as comparison.

Secondly, you might want to up your water changes to twice a week. One 50% and one 50% with a good gravel vacuuming. It's possible that during the time you were away, ammonia built up a lot and your guy has got some ammonia burns on his gills.

And also, maybe feed your guy 3-4 pellets a day, depending on how big the pellets are. Unless he's really, really tiny like still a baby.

How long have you had your guy? Poor guy. If it seems like he's having a lot of trouble breathing, lower the water level a few inches so he can get to the surface easier. He probably changed color because he's stressed. If your sister left uneaten food in his tank, then the ammonia could have built up really fast since decaying food causes ammonia. That could explain why his gills are moving so fast and why he's struggling to breathe.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:39 AM   #3 
Marvogin

Thanks. I'll try and get a picture after I've cleaned the tank. I plan on doing a 100% change tomorrow, and then following your advice and doing a 50% change twice weekly.
Marvogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

To add...you either need to leave the filter on all the time or remove it all together......every time you turn it off this stops the oxygen flow to the good bacteria and they will start to die after about 6 hours and every time you turn the filter on...you are floding the tank with ammonia the biproduct of death....then the added left over food that is decaying......

Make some 50% water changes for the next couple of days and see if this perks him up
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #5 
Kodacks

Help my baby seems like the insides of his mouth come out when he trys to eat its need and I think hard for him to eat. He also swims backwards when I am near the tank instead of the normal come see mom kinda thing
Kodacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #6 
Kodacks

Sorry been a long day didnt check post.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Kodacks, this sounds serious. Why don't you PM me and we'll get right on it.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #8 
Kodacks

I dont know how to pm sorry

So kodacks is not eatting at all today still scared of me but swimming around
Old 07-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #9 
bettafish15

You PM someone by clicking their username to the left there and on the menu that comes up click on "Send a Private Message to _____".
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodacks View Post
Help my baby seems like the insides of his mouth come out when he trys to eat its need and I think hard for him to eat. He also swims backwards when I am near the tank instead of the normal come see mom kinda thing
Welcome to the forum kodacks...you need to start a new thread with your question and we will be happy to help you out with your problem...we have lot of members that will be happy to help and often your question along with answers by other members will help other members with the same problem......and by starting your own thread you will get more response too...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote