Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2011, 01:29 AM   #1 
LittleBettaFish

My new sorority

Well today I (accidentally) started my first ever sorority. I was at a LFS I donít usually visit looking for some bolbitis, when I spotted a tank of young female bettas. Having wanted a sorority for quite a while now, I thought that since I had a tank empty, I would set one up.

I ended up with five females in total, but also bought some narrow-leaf java fern, milfoil and java moss to give them some places to hide. I cleared out my empty 12 inch cube and put in my plants as well as a clump of riccia and some pieces of wood. Itís only a temporary tank (itís around 7-8 gallons, I want at least 10) but it serves its purpose okay, and as theyíre still only small, there are plenty of places for my more submissive girls to get away from the tank bully.

At the moment there has been a bit of chasing, flaring and body bumping as they try to work out who sits where on the pecking order. However, my male coccinas and breeding pair of rutilans are always deciding they hate each other, so Iím used to squabbles. I did briefly separate out the main bully, and sheís now been knocked onto the second peg by a particularly feisty Cambodian girl.

I also ended up walking out of my more local LFS with four juvenile Betta Imbellis. I have such a soft spot for wilds. I had been meaning to cut down on the number of fish I own, but as Iím quitting my job soon, I am going to be taking a month or so off to get my fish/bedroom how I want it.

Unfortunately, I think I am well on my way to becoming the crazy fish lady

Some pictures I took about an hour after setting it up. That girl is obsessed with my gravel. She keeps attacking it.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:09 AM   #2 
kif3

XD very nice setup :3 have you named the girls yet? ^^ can we get pictures :3?? :D goodluck with it all and keep us posted too! :3
kif3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:27 AM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Haha no names yet . It's hard going with my god/goddess theme and actually finding a name I can pronounce. One of my males Hrungnir, is now known as Hungry because I kept mispronouncing it.

I reckon the females are heaps more fun to watch than the males. One of them was attacking the bubbles coming out of my filter spraybar and they have discovered that bottom log is hollow. Then just before, the bossy Cambodian girl got stuck in my moss while she was trying to chomp someone else, and had to very sheepishly back out when someone got her by the tail.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a remake of Jaws. I've already got to divide up my nice 3ft tank for seven of my boys. I think my bedroom floor would collapse under the weight.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:16 AM   #4 
kif3

XDDD sounds goods :3 goodluck with it ^^
kif3 is offline   Reply With Quote