Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #1 
Gizmothefreaky

Tanks update!

Okay, so since i have been gone for a long time, and gone through two moves i thought i would give you guys an update!! :3

First my desk:

In the bowl on the far left is Spot, who has decided that he gets really stressed and lethargic in anything larger, silly boy. Then in the ten, from left to right is Twitch, Kisses, and Thaddeus... Thaddeus has been building amazing bubble nests for Kisses, and i think that is adorable, but no babies for me, dont have the room or the time, so i will just let him continue to flirt his heart out. ha ha! And finally in the two and a half gallon on the bottom is Willy, who has been having a chronic finrot problem that comes and goes... I am reluctant to get actual medication for him though, an keep hoping that the AQ salt will do the trick...

And on my bedside table:

This is the new home of Pickle, my newest member. He also lives in there with Jackie and Casper, my two ADFs.

I am pleased with the setups for now, lol. Just wait until i start getting all of my ten gallon tanks. X3 I wont be able to move!
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Nice job...your tanks look great.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #3 
Gizmothefreaky

Thanks so much! That is an amazing compliment coming from you. X3

Do you have any suggestions as to what i may be doing wrong with Willy and his finrot? I use AQ salt, one tsp/gallon, and change it every day for ten days, and the rot goes away and starts to heal, and then once i stop with salt, the rot comes back again...
Old 06-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Tell me more about his setup, additives etc... and water change schedule...etc appetite, how long you had him etc... and can you post a clear pic of the rot if you have one...
Old 06-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #5 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Tell me more about his setup, additives etc... and water change schedule...etc appetite, how long you had him etc... and can you post a clear pic of the rot if you have one...
Willy is notoriously hard to photograph... but i tried. lol

I have had him since about march of this year, but he only started having these problems in late April- early May. He is currently in a 2.5 gallon tank with no filter or heater, because i read somewhere it is better to have the water colder when treating finrot. I treat the water with NovAqua water conditioner, and three tsp of AQ salt when he is on the treatment. I feed 3-4 pellets in the morning and 2-3 in the eavning with occasional freeze dried bloodworms as treats. he always eats all that is offered. His set up is simple with a small plant, marbles as gravel, a couple larger rocks and a tea cup hiding place. I change the water every day on the salt treatment, and every three days off the treatment.

Now for the pictures...

I really hope those are good enough... I just took them and he is a pain in the butt to shoot. Always has been. XD
Old 06-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

How many days did you do the salt treatment and to understand you treated him in the 2.5gal with a total of 3tsp of salt and you kept him in the salt during the treat period making 100% daily water changes...
Old 06-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #7 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
How many days did you do the salt treatment and to understand you treated him in the 2.5gal with a total of 3tsp of salt and you kept him in the salt during the treat period making 100% daily water changes...
I do the treatment for ten days, and yes, 100% water changes every day, take everything out and wash it, and 3 tsp of salt.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #8 
pinksnowme

Pickles is my favorite of yours I love his coloring and his name
Spot is like my Blizzard who actually enjoys his 1 gallon bowl :D
pinksnowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Hopefully he doesn't have a resistant strain from treatments.....

I would Qt in something smaller, barebottom, clear that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain a water temp in the 76-77F range, attached so it doesn't sink.

Pre mix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water...Add 2tsp/gal aquarium salt and tannins to steep...either IAL or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (10-12 crushed/gal) the longer they steep the more tannins released the darker the water the better.....let this steep for at least 1 hour..shake well and use this water for the 100% daily water changes for 10 days...each day more tannins will be release and this is what you want...by day 3-4 the water in the 1gal jug should be nearly so dark you can barely see the fish in the small QT container (this is with oak leaf)

Nutrition....live foods...mosquito larva 4-5 fed 3 times a day, if no live- frozen, then pellets if that is all you have...small frequent high protein meals....

If you have been doing multi treatments he may need a rest and just do fresh water treatment with 50% daily water changes in the 2.5gal unfiltered with 1-100% every 7 days....

When the fin rot first starts...what do his fins look like, color, texture etc...as detailed as possible....

What I can tell from the pic...is new growth not rot....and it almost looks like biting, dragging on gravel or a pinch from the way the fins are tattered

Other things that can cause tattered fins, filter/water flow, gravel, objects that can pinch the fins, like larger rocks/stones/decorations in general...especially the long heavy fin males...tattered fins don't always mean fin rot or secondary infection that needs any more treatment than fresh dechlorinated water from frequent water changes.....

Nice lookin Betta by the way.....