Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #1 
fightergirl2710

Exclamation Rescue: Is this an infection?

This rescue boy I got has some kind of weird discoloration on his tail end. I got him from a place where he was very badly kept in a 1 gallon tank with 20 other bettas... As you can see he got pretty beat up... His gills are inflamed and deformed, fins and tail gone. He still had spirit though but it seems to be wavering. I saw this weird colouration right now! He didn't have it in the morning. He also can't to move very well, comes up only for air. Please advise, although I don't know if he's going to make it... Another Hopeless/ful ?

Ok, right now his backside is floating and he has a lot of issues moving..
Pictures:
This afternoon

Tonight:
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #2 
Silverfang

Another member posted with something similar, it looks like severe rot. Unfortunately the other betta with a similar looking discoloration (for lack of a more accurate word) did not last long, he was gone in about a day. Aside from really keeping up with clean water I have no idea what to suggest, sorry.

Bump in hopes that someone else can add something more helpful.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #3 
fightergirl2710

Its alright. I'm not keeping any high hopes. He's in the jar you see here because he can't move much and go to the top. I put some salt and methylene blue in his water apart from conditioner. Does rot grow that fast? It was barely 5 hours! Thanks though, I pray he pulls through..
Old 06-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #4 
Silverfang

I believe normal fin rot doesn't spread that fast. But this was something that had people stumped, I'd suggest asking OFL if she has any ideas. I'm hoping it's not the same thing the other one had, that was just so quick acting
Old 06-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #5 
fightergirl2710

Alright I'll do that. Thanks again!
Old 06-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
I believe normal fin rot doesn't spread that fast. But this was something that had people stumped, I'd suggest asking OFL if she has any ideas. I'm hoping it's not the same thing the other one had, that was just so quick acting
I think I know which one you're talking about. Was it the gray that crept up the tail to the body in about seven hours? That was . . . bizarre. And scary. I don't think it was fin rot, either. No one knew what it was, not even OFL.

fightergirl, fin rot doesn't usually progress that fast, which is why it can be caught and treated before it gets worse. But considering the conditions this little guy came from, I'd say it had already advanced quite a bit before you got him. His little immune system may finally be giving out on him, poor guy. But at least he's in clean water now with lots of care. You're doing all you can do for him.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #7 
Silverfang

That's the one Sakura, it was just so weird, and fast moving, it made me think of like flesh eating bacteria.

How's the little guy doing?
Old 06-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #8 
Sakura8

It was creepy, that flesh-eating thing. Hope we never see it again on this forum.

She's probably sleeping, it's only 9 AM in Mumbai.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:19 AM   #9 
fightergirl2710

He's still hanging in there, I want to just finish it all but I don't think I can do it. :( It's like his body is just dying bit by bit. He can barely swim now and he's floating on the top at staying still because he has to breathe. But he's still trying to wiggle at me like he's saying hi. The "rot" has escalated to his entire tail and half his body. He's basically swimming with the front of his body...
Old 06-19-2011, 01:26 AM   #10 
Silverfang

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that, it definitely sounds like the other mystery disease. I'm afraid that keeping him comfortable is probably all you will be able to do. Not that I'm suggesting giving up! I really hope he does pull through, but if not, keep him comfortable. If he's having trouble swimming to the surface you might try lowering the water level to make it a bit easier for him.