Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #1 
MurphieandMaurice

Exclamation Please help MURPHIE! Pic Attached

So I joined this site in the hopes that someone out there can help me get some answers. I have had my Betta, Murphie, for a year now and he means the world to me.

He has been through just about everything though, from SBD to popeye, (he is a Wal-Mart fish...) and now he has this strange growth on this left side.

It didn't bother me for a long time that it was there because he was not acting strange and didn't lose his appetite. It also started out small and just under the skin.

I looked more closely at him today and it has gotten much larger and now has a white, almost hemorrhaging looking, spot to it.

I need help! He is in a ten gallon tank with a single snail named Maurice. He is normally kept at a 75-78 degree F temperature and I do 10% water changes every month with a change of filter. Aquarium salt is also added at this time and with the water I use a tap water primer to insure safe water for the Murph. Right now, I am treating him with Mardel's Maracyn for a small array of infections and he is on his second dosage, 24 hours apart. I have not done a test kit but the Maracyn said that no changes needed to be made to apply. The only recent change was a full water change two weeks ago with two quarts of old water kept.

I was thinking of moving to Maracyn Two which might target the exact problem. Otherwise, I don't know what to do. I can provide pictures if he will sit still long enough. Please, I need some advice.
Attached Images

MurphieandMaurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:59 PM   #2 
bettafish15

He likely keeps getting these issues because of not enough waterchanges. In a 10g, you need to do 30-50% A WEEK. But now you know ^^ His current issue looks like a tumor to me, but it could very well be something different.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:18 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Welcome to the forum, MurphieandMaurice. I'm sorry it's under such stressful circumstances. Can you fill out this info? And does he have any sharp decorations he could have hurt himself on?

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #4 
BettaFishRule

well i talks to my freind who are fish experts i showed them this picture im sorry but it look like a tumor. but they could be wrong but mostlikly yes its a tumor
BettaFishRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:00 AM   #5 
DarkMoon17

Sadly it does look like a tumor. All you can do is make sure he is comfortable, bettas can live a long time if the tumor is benign. As bettafish15 suggested, you need to increase water changes to 30-50% weekly (not monthly). If you can, you should increase the temperature to 78-80*. You should not add salt to the water long term as it will allow him to build an immunity to it and it won't be affective when you need it. Only add salt when your fish is sick (it won't help against the tumor).
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #6 
Sakura8

If it's hemorrhaging and he looks like he's in pain, though, he may need to be put down. I hate to bring it up but you don't want him to suffer. :(
Old 06-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #7 
kgs1992

If like Sakura suggested, you do wish to put him down, please euthanize him and don't just flush him down the toilet.
You can do this using clove oil. I think around 2 drops per gallon and same once more after he seems drowsy and finally add a few more drops, just to be sure.
Then you can have a little fishy funeral and then flush him down.
But if he does look like he wants to live (trust me, you'll know it).
But if not, he's lived a long life and it's finally time for him to pass on.
It would be better to put him out of his misery.
It's your call buddy.
kgs1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Nah, don't flush him one way or another. OFL says burial, cremation, or wrapped in newspaper in the trash bin. Something to do with the environment when you flush fish bodies, even dead ones. But I really hope it doesn't come to that point.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #9 
kgs1992

I hope so too.
I didn't know about that. I flushed my fish previously.
I feel guilty about that now! :/
Thanks for letting me know though.
kgs1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Just saying what OFL said. Considering what goes down the toilet, I'm not sure how a fishy corpse could harm the environment any but what do I know? If he was already passed on, then don't feel bad, kgs.

MurphieandMaurice,

Is Maurice doing okay, considering they share the tank? He's not showing any signs of developing tumors?

In a 10g with 2 carnivores, you'll want to up your water changes to 30% a week and at least 50% every other week with a good gravel vacuuming. Keeping the water clean is the absolute best way to keep your bettas healthy. While you can treat a lot of diseases and illnesses in bettas, the easiest and most surefire method is prevention. And your guys will be happier that way too.

If you're really not sure about that lump, you can take Murphie to a veterinarian who has experience in fish, or perhaps to a local fish or pet store with a knowledgeable employee that you trust.

Last edited by Sakura8; 06-19-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Tags
bump, hemorrhaging, internal infection, maracyn, white spot