Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #1 
Tanni

Ahto's Fin Issue

Ahto didn't have a very good start in life before I found him suffering from a major case of fin rot in a tank that belonged to my friend. I offered her some money to purchase Ahto and have him as my pet because I didn't want to see him flushed down a toilet and she accepted the offer. She no longer has an aquarium, but Ahto is still suffering from fin rot. In this video he is much better than he came to me as. However, I can't get my hands on Aquarium Salt anymore because the pet stores don't have it yet and I can't afford for it to be shipped anymore. Is there anything else I can use to help heal Ahto's fins? Actually, I'm not sure if it's fin rot or what, but whatever it was it seemed to be getting better once I started adding Aquarium Salt to his water. His fins were almost completely gone when I got him at first and I'm ashamed that my friend would let her aquarium get that bad. His fins have grown back a lot, but they still have tears and aren't fully grown. The white specks on his fin and along the tip of his fin are all tears.

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EW0W0D-BOQ

Environment:
10 gallon tank
Heater
Light
Gravel/Pebbles
2 Decorations

Temperature:
78 Degrees

Eliminators:
Jungle Ammonia and Chloramine Eliminator

Food:
Betta ColorBright flakes
TetraColor tropical granules
Tanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Good for you......

You can use kosher salt or any sodium chloride without the anti-caking additives...ice cream salt, kosher salt all will work and if you have Epsom salt on hand...this will work too......it has the antibacterial/fungal properties like sodium chloride too and will help in the healing process

Use dosages of:
Sodium Chloride (aquarium salt, kosher salt, ice crm salt) 1tsp/gal- for 10 days
Magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) 2tsp/gal-can be used long term

Best to treat in a small QT container that you can float in the heated tank to maintain water temp in the 76-77F range and make 100% daily water changes with the salt water....this is really important part of the treatment for fin issues that have gone to a secondary infection...... and if you have tannins from either IAL or dried oak leaf.....add this too...

If you pre-mix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the salt and tannins to steep...this will make the water changes and correct dosage easier.....

Nutrition is also important for healing...high protein diet fed in small frequent meals....

Good luck and keep us posted......

Edit...wow...I just noticed the video and watched it...he is beautiful...you have done a great job with him....how long has he been in salt treatment...it is best to limit sodium chloride to 10 days....by watching him...he looks to be active and happy...he may only need fresh dechlorinated water treatment from frequent water changes and good nutrition...it can take time to get their fins back and often if they had been in really bad shape to start they may never return to their full glory.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-17-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #3 
Tanni

It may seem very irresponsible, but I can't remember how long I've had Ahto on the salt treatment. His fins were such a disaster that it seemed like forever by the time his fins got to where they are now. I tried my best to do everything right, but being a 15 year old who has to care for all 5 cats and 3 dogs plus a sick fish it's a bit difficult to keep track of things. I'll need to start a journal of these things so that I have record of how long the treatment was and such.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:54 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanni View Post
It may seem very irresponsible, but I can't remember how long I've had Ahto on the salt treatment. His fins were such a disaster that it seemed like forever by the time his fins got to where they are now. I tried my best to do everything right, but being a 15 year old who has to care for all 5 cats and 3 dogs plus a sick fish it's a bit difficult to keep track of things. I'll need to start a journal of these things so that I have record of how long the treatment was and such.
You're doing great, if Ahto's fins are anything to go by. He really looks good so I cringe when I think about what he must have looked like when you first got him. How long have you had Ahto and did you start him on the salt right when you got him?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #5 
Tanni

Well, when I saw the condition he was in when I spent the night at my friend's house I decided to do some research on bettas to see if this was the ideal environment for one and found that this was being cruel. Once I collected cures for the sickness I thought he had I offered to purchase Ahto so that she didn't have a total loss of $25 from where she bought him. I had gotten my parents to purchase the aquarium salt from a supplier and that took a few days. I probably should've gotten the salt first, but I didn't know if Ahto would survive a couple more days in that kind of environment. It's had to be about a month and two weeks or just a month since I got him. I have to admit, the fins took longer to grow back than I first thought.

I have to leave to visit Petco so I can look for a filter for Ahto's tank. Cleaning out his tank often has started to leave my back sore (I'm very small for a 15 year old girl). It appears that I need to go to the gym and get some muscles built up.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #6 
Sakura8

She spent $25 on him? Or was that including the tank? 'Cause most bettas cost $16 maximum for a halfmoon tail. You did the right thing, doing research on the environment. That's some good thinking because then you had scientific evidence to back you up in your argument. I hope your friend doesn't get any more pets, though, until she learns how to take care of them properly.

Did you start Ahto on the aquarium salt right when you got him and have you kept him on it ever since? If so, that would be a month-long treatment of salt. They can live in salt fine and some people even keep salt in the tank all the time but even so, if his fins don't look like they might get an infection, you might want to stop the salt treatment and let them heal on their own.

I wish I caught you before you headed to Petco because you could have picked up some API Stress Coat or Seachem Prime. Both are water conditioners so you only need to use one product to treat the water for chlorine and ammonia, and both will also add nutrients that encourage healthy fin regeneration. I'd definitely recommend one or the other the next time you head to the pet store. Also, Ahto will really enjoy some plants to hide and play in. You can get plastic ones, just be sure not to get ones that are spiky looking like these - they'll tear Ahto's fins and that wouldn't be good since you just got them healed.

Haha, when I first started keeping bettas, I had to sometimes get my dad to lug the buckets of water when I got them too full, and I'm grown up. Still tiny like you, though (5'2") and totally lacking in muscle (how could I get so out of shape?). But I've noticed that I'm getting stronger so keeping fish is good for your health. Try not to throw your back out though.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #7 
Tanni

Well, you didn't catch me in time to let me know about the conditioners or plants, but the woman explained to me that a siphon would be a lot easier for me to clean Ahto's tank out with. I bought that for $7 and I also bought five small plants that glow in the dark. I visited different stores than Petco because I noticed that there was an aquarium shop right by my grandma's house and we needed to pick her up to take her to the store. I don't know the name of the pet store that I noticed, but after that we went to Meijers and seeing how it had the bettas in great condition I bought the five plants from there. I've had Ahto on the salt treatment since I got him so I expect that you're right about him being on the treatment for a month. I'm glad that I'm doing the right things. I was worried that I was doing the wrong thing because I'm new to bettas and this was my first one.

EDIT: The plants are a little pointy, but they don't seem like they're pointy enough to shred his fins once again. I used the siphon when I got home and it was so much easier to use than trying to lift the water out with my "alternative" ways of doing it. Ahto seems to adore his new plants because he hasn't left them in about 10 minutes. I know that he isn't dead because he's sitting there right now wiggling his fins at me.

Last edited by Tanni; 06-18-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: I had to add an update.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Aren't they adorable when they wiggle their fins? I just love it. Well, trust me, you'll be back at the pet store soon enough so you can pick up some Prime or Stress Coat then, if you want to, that is. I go to mine at least once a week. If I didn't give them such good business, they'd be sick of me.

You're doing great, Tanni. Just by doing research first got you off to the best start possible. And you even got a heater; that's a step a lot of newbies forget about.

One word of caution: if you leave Ahto in the tank while siphoning, keep an eye on him. If he's curious like mine, he'll end up taking a ride through the hose. My guy did that two days ago and it scared the heck out of me when I looked down and there he was in the bucket. He's fine, just a little scratched, but better to be safe than sorry.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #9 
Tanni

Lol, I would freak out if that happened to me. The instant I got home I decided to wash off the new plants and the siphon just to make sure that they were going to be clean and I started using the siphon in the aquarium with Ahto in it. He ran behind his Atlantis Castle and didn't move anywhere close to it. The hose on the siphon doesn't look big enough to fit him in, but bettas are sneaky little creatures and they could fit inside one. I don't plan on finding out if he does fit in one because I'd rather not find him in the bucket of water. Ahto is flaring at me for some reason. His tank is right on my computer desk and he's always by the corner where I'm sitting, but now he's flaring at me (possibly to get attention?). Isn't flaring a good thing because it gets the blood flowing? I wonder what I did to make him upset...
Old 06-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #10 
Sakura8

I didn't think my siphon hose was big enough either. It's about 1/2 inch in diameter and whoop, there he went. They look big because of those fins but the actual body is so tiny. It's good Ahto hid.

Yup, you're right, flaring is good for getting the blood flowing and getting them exercise. Some people make sure to get their betta to flare at least once a week. Also, it can stimulate bubblenesting. Ahto may see his own reflection in the tank glass/acrylic or he could be wanting attention. Both my guys are on my desk next to me as well so I get to watch them a lot. My girls are on my dresser which is about two feet away. At their dinnertime, I feel like I'm surrounded by a pack of hungry piranha.