Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2011, 02:22 AM   #1 
BettaLinz

New Betta owner - Help choosing tank and heater

Hey everyone! (: First off, I am new here, and relatively new to having Bettas. I had one when I was younger that lived about 2+ years, had another that we actually lost earlier today after only 6 months :(, and we also got a new one this evening. I, unfortunatly, didn't think to do any extensive research until fter we brought our little Sparky home and had him in his new fishbowl. I now know that you have to have a 5gal tank with filter and heater! So we are looking into getting one ASAP. I have been looking at some online and I am having a hard time choosing. That's why I came here. (: Any opinions on these choices? I really just want to be 100% sure that they are suitable for our new friend. (:

The main tank I was looking at,

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258

^^This one has a built-in light and filter, which some reviews say needs a little baffling..?

Heaters,

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Subm...-Pets/12177656

http://www.petco.com/product/113622/...m-Heaters.aspx

http://www.petco.com/product/102603/...m-Heaters.aspx

http://www.petco.com/product/114078/...m-Heaters.aspx

As far as heaters go, I want to get one that will be suitable for my Bettas temperature needs, is reliable, and not too expensive. Any opinions on these? (:

Sorry this was a bit long - I want to be really sure on my choices before I buy anything. I don't want to lose another buddy, it was really hard on my little sister as it was mostly her fish. I have read the Day one sticky, and I have the drops and food pellets for Sparky. All we need now is to get him out of that fishbowl!

Last Q for now...is cycling necessary? Because I have heard it takes a while, and I don't want my fish to have to be where he is for any unnecessary extra time. Thanks for any and all help!! (:
BettaLinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:42 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLinz View Post
Hey everyone! (: First off, I am new here, and relatively new to having Bettas. I had one when I was younger that lived about 2+ years, had another that we actually lost earlier today after only 6 months :(, and we also got a new one this evening. I, unfortunatly, didn't think to do any extensive research until fter we brought our little Sparky home and had him in his new fishbowl. I now know that you have to have a 5gal tank with filter and heater! So we are looking into getting one ASAP. I have been looking at some online and I am having a hard time choosing. That's why I came here. (: Any opinions on these choices? I really just want to be 100% sure that they are suitable for our new friend. (:

The main tank I was looking at,

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258

^^This one has a built-in light and filter, which some reviews say needs a little baffling..?

Heaters,

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Subm...-Pets/12177656

http://www.petco.com/product/113622/...m-Heaters.aspx

http://www.petco.com/product/102603/...m-Heaters.aspx

http://www.petco.com/product/114078/...m-Heaters.aspx

As far as heaters go, I want to get one that will be suitable for my Bettas temperature needs, is reliable, and not too expensive. Any opinions on these? (:

Sorry this was a bit long - I want to be really sure on my choices before I buy anything. I don't want to lose another buddy, it was really hard on my little sister as it was mostly her fish. I have read the Day one sticky, and I have the drops and food pellets for Sparky. All we need now is to get him out of that fishbowl!

Last Q for now...is cycling necessary? Because I have heard it takes a while, and I don't want my fish to have to be where he is for any unnecessary extra time. Thanks for any and all help!! (:
Welcome! Its nice to have you here.

Its great you're looking for tanks in the 5 gallon range! However, for the future, they do not NEED 5 gallons. I personally think that 2 gallons and up is fine. 5, though is GREAT! I keep all my fish in 5 gallons! :)

The hawkeye is a great tank, and is a great price. Dont be afraid about the baffle, because every filter needs one with a betta. Literally- almost no filter can go unbaffled with these long-tailed fish! I say get it!

My only real opinion on those heaters, since I do not own any of those,is to choose one of at least 15w. However, I can honestly say DO NOT buy any kind of heater from Tetra brand. Ive owned them and theyre AWFUL! A true waste, and I dont say that a lot! Most members have not had good results with Tetra heaters, as they either flat out dont work or keep the tank at only 74'F or lower.

Im glad you read my sticky! Yay! It never fails to make me smile when people read it. The conditioner (drops, yes?) and pellets are fantastic. Great job.

Cycling can take a while, yes. However, cycling a tank is quite rewarding, especially in such a large tank. Having to do BIG water changes in a 5 gallon tank is not fun- but if the tank is cycled, you can change the water much, much less! I have cycled my 5 gallons upwards of 15 times (I move a lot :D), and I usually only change 25% of the water, if that, once a week. Your fish can stay in the tank during the cycle, which is called "Fish-in" cycling. If you would like, I can send you a private message I send to users that gives a general swoop of how to do Fish-in cycling.

Essentially, you would leave your filter on always, have your fish live in your 5 gallon, and you will monitor ammonia levels for a while, change the water as needed, begin to check for nitrites, change the water when needed, then begin to check for nitrates (the good stuff!) and then, when theyre around, you're cycled! :) Its not too complicated, but it takes a bit of diligence when monitoring the tank's levels. No big deal, though- since you seem to care a lot!

If you have any more questions, we'd love to help you.

I can pretty much speak for all of us on the forum...

We'd love to see Sparky! :D We love seeing pictures of our fellow member's finned friends.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

I actually have 3 of the aqueon heaters. I have the aqueon heaters in both my 10 gallons and one in my 5 gallon tank...The 50 watt is a little big for the 5 gallon so I have to angle it a bit..but it works really well and keeps the temperature steady...The tetras aren't very good at all.. I haven't had much luck with them and I keep our house pretty warm (77degrees)...I couldn't get the tetras to raise the water past 75-76.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #4 
BettaLinz

Thanks so much for the help - both of you!! I'm glad I know now to stay away from the Tetra's..I don't want anything faulty! And yes, I would love to hear more about the fish-in cycling, if you do not mind, Pewpewpew. :) Thanks so much! And pics of Sparky will be up soon - I can't wait to show him off. :)
Old 06-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Notta problem. I'll send you a pm soon. I send it to those who ask so some info may be a little off per your specific situation but it'll help just the same! Lots of info out there on cycling is needlessly confusing, which is a shame, because its SO rewarding! :)

Btw- if you have any questions about the Hawkeye tank, the user Lion Mom has a bunch of them! She'll help you out, especially on how to baffle the filter~!
Old 06-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #6 
Lion Mom

"Btw- if you have any questions about the Hawkeye tank, the user Lion Mom has a bunch of them! She'll help you out, especially on how to baffle the filter~!"

Yuppers, that's me! Don't know if three qualifies as a "bunch", but I am VERY happy with them.

A 25 watt submersible, adjustable heater is perfect for a 5 gal. - the Elite Mini is a very nice heater, IMO/E, that does a good job.

For baffling, I believe the best way to do it is with an aquarium sponge (AquaClear & Imagine are two brand names) and rubber band the sponge to the front of the filter (you don't see the sponge with the lid closed). Here is a pic of how I do it & welcome to the forum:
Attached Images

Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Dont you own like three? :O
Old 06-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #8 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Dont you own like three? :O
Yes I do - that's why I said in my post, "I don't know if three qualifies as a bunch".
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

a beautiful tank it is lion mom!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #10 
BettaLinz

Thanks SOO much Lion Mom! That helps a ton! :) I will also take a look at the elite mini, thanks! Do they sell them at Petsmart or Petco?