Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2011, 03:58 AM   #1 
kif3

No Idea Whats wrong

So i got my new fighting fish about 3 week ago and on the second day i noticed he was very lethargic, fins beginning to clamp, and he didnt even notice any food that i tried to give him. many people said that he may just need time to adapt to his new tank and new surroundings and it could sometimes take 1-2 weeks however his condition hast changed.

i got worried about a week ago and decided to put some Aqua-Serene, Multicure into his tank just in case he had something that i didn't know about or if not that it would at least prevent him from a disease seeing he wasnt eating. but to my dissapointment there has been no improvement.

He just stays at the bottom of his tank, as if he is asleep, there is nothing i can do to catch his attention, he will sometimes speed like there is no tomorrow up to the surface to take a breath but then will just sink back to the bottom again.

please does anyone know whats wrong?

He is in a 14L tank (almost 4Gals) with a filter, the ammonia levels never reach above 0.5, heated, temp in the 79-81 F, ive been doing small almost daily water changes (depending on if i have enough time etc) that are about 25%.

if anyone could offer any advice that would be great thanks!
kif3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:24 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Very odd. Where did you get him from and what condition was the water he was in? Is he bloated and has he been passing any waste?

Try to get him to eat. It's still distantly possible he's settling in but because he hasn't eaten, he has no energy. If you have an eyedropper or a turkey baster, take his pellets and squirt them into the water directly by him. Also, try soaking his pellets in garlic juice and see if that perks him up. Have you tried bloodworms? Frozen or freeze-dried, doesn't matter at this point. Again, if he won't come up to the surface to eat, use the eyedropper to squirt them right by him, directly in front. If he won't eat while you're watching, slip away for ten minutes. If he hasn't eaten by then, though, you'd probably better remove the food so it doesn't dirty the water.

What kind of water conditioner are you using? Try switching to Seachem Prime or API Stress Coat, both of which have ingredients that help to stimulate the slime coat. Also try some tannins. Since it's unlikely you can find Indian Almond Leaf near you (I've only seen it online on one site), get some decaffeinated green tea bags that have no additives (no extra flavors like orange or lemon or mint etc). Celestial Seasonings Authentic Decaf Green Tea is usually available in most grocery stores. Steep a bag in his water for an hour or until the water turns, well, tea-colored. You don't have to do this every day but if the water starts to lose its tea color because of the water changes, you can soak another bag. Alternatively, you can find some clean dried oak leaves and crush those up in his water until it turns amber colored. It might be hard to find clean dried oak leaves this time of year, though.

Up the amount of water you change to 30-40% just while he's not feeling well. Every day if you can but never go more than two days between water changes, especially while he's sick.

I hope these tips help because he sounds so sad, all listless like that. If he doesn't perk up or eat after a few more days, then I'm out of ideas.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:44 AM   #3 
kif3

yeah sorry i forgot to mention, i got him some frozen bloodworms and have been puting them right in front of his face but he just seems to not notice it or just doesnt care that its there.

With the water conditioner, its an aqua one water conditioner that enhances the natural slime coat.
Uhm O.o what do the tea bags do and whats tannis??
He was in a really big tank with alot of guppies, the water wasnt really dirty that i could see :/

and i shall do that with the water changes thankyou ^^

i really hope it helps too, my boyfriend thinks that i should put him down soon because he thinks its cruel and that he must be in so much pain.. i know that he must be but i just dont wanna give up hope on him :(
Old 06-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #4 
kif3

oh and hes eaten about twice, both bloodworms, once in the first week, once in the second week, i think he pooed once and it was kind of clearish,
he is not bloated at all ;.;
Old 06-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #5 
DarkMoon17

If his poop is clearish and he occasionally darts around, then it could be internal parasites.... Try an anti parasite medication like Jungle's Parasite Clear or API General Cure (personally I'd use this one despite cost). As suggested, increase water changes and add tannins/tea if possible.

Tannins have theroputic properties; they darken the water so it is more naturally colored and relaxing. I believe they also release nutrients into the water that are good for them.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #6 
Sakura8

I'd go with API also, better brand. But you'll have to put him in a QT for treatment, I'd think, for treatment. I don't know if the guppies need the meds too or not.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #7 
DarkMoon17

If one fish has parasites, they probably all have parasites... Plus the eggs/larva would be in the tank so you would need to treat the entire tank.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Yeah, you're right, Darkmoon, good call. My brain fizzed out on me and I forgot about the larva etc in the water. Better to treat them all.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #9 
DarkMoon17

No prob, you usually want to quarantine sick fish for treatment. Parasites are just one of those exceptions :)
Old 06-20-2011, 05:06 AM   #10 
kif3

oh okies thanks for explaining tannis ^^ do i continue the treatment i have him on as well as the tannis/teabags? (Aqua Serene Multicure is all i could find where i live)

and XD sorry i should have said the tank i got him from at the pet store was huge with guppies, i dont own any XD.

Tags
help betta fish