Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #1 
smellsfishie

White, cloudy tufts of... Poo?

So last Wednesday I aquired "Popeye/Pencil" (debating on a name) from a breeder in Thailand. I was told he was listless prior to shipping, so I expected him to be a bit sick when he got here.

I have him in about a 1/2 gallon critter keeper so I can do water changes easier... ANYWAY!! At first he was kinda swimming a bit vertical and appeared weakened. I have been feeding betta pellets, bloodworms, and brine shrimp. He has been eating fine. His swimming has improved, some... (Especially upon seeing a female betta- all of a sudden he has LOTS of energy and flares quite nicely :D)

But the one weird thing to me is, all this cloudy, tufty junk that accumulates in his home. None of my other "jarred" bettas have this... I think it is his poo?? It just looks like little pieces of dust... dust bunnies... So, is this indicative of a intestinal parasite? I have some medicated fish food for a bacterial infection, but not sure this is the right thing to use on him... Anyone have experience with anti-parasie fish food? I am not really fond of the petstore medications, so would rather treat him "naturally" by frequent water changes, maaaaybe salt (but we add salt to our water to soften it anyway soooo no clue how much is already in there). Or, I am ok with anti-parasite food if that's what it sounds like it may be.

You can see some in this pic, top pic, near his tail. That's the stuff.
Attached Images

smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:07 AM   #2 
BlueEyedBettaBoy

What a gorgeous Betta! I wish I could help with your question though :(
BlueEyedBettaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #3 
smellsfishie

Thanks :) He was saved on my computer as "dream betta" lol... Now that I have him I keep saying to myself "wow... I have my dream betta!" He really is gorgeous, I hope he stays all spotty like that, because my spotty female is now almoooost solid black! Little booger.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:13 AM   #4 
BlueEyedBettaBoy

He really is absolutely stunning. Where do you buy your bettas from?
BlueEyedBettaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:44 AM   #5 
smellsfishie

aquabid.com ....careful, it's addictive... and expensive...
Old 06-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #6 
kif3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyedBettaBoy View Post
What a gorgeous Betta! I wish I could help with your question though :(
i second this ^^
kif3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #7 
DarkMoon17

Actually, the tank that has an infestation of some sort in my house has the same thing. I'm treating them with General Cure (anti parasites) atm and they are improving nicely. I also used some epsom salt because a few got cloudy eyes at the same time (I don't know if that is related). I only noticed the "dust bunnies" when I had them in a QT though since the filter in their tank removes them. You might not be able to see it on your boy because of his color, but mine seemed to have tiny clear hairs sticking off randomly which appeared parasitic. If you look right at the body line of his dorsal do you see anything? Is he clamped at all?

Who knows, maybe one of my imports brought it with them like yours did. I've never seen it before.

EDIT: oh and, I believe the "dust bunnies" are his slime coat sloughing off.

Last edited by DarkMoon17; 06-19-2011 at 09:27 AM.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #8 
smellsfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Actually, the tank that has an infestation of some sort in my house has the same thing. I'm treating them with General Cure (anti parasites) atm and they are improving nicely. I also used some epsom salt because a few got cloudy eyes at the same time (I don't know if that is related). I only noticed the "dust bunnies" when I had them in a QT though since the filter in their tank removes them. You might not be able to see it on your boy because of his color, but mine seemed to have tiny clear hairs sticking off randomly which appeared parasitic. If you look right at the body line of his dorsal do you see anything? Is he clamped at all?

Who knows, maybe one of my imports brought it with them like yours did. I've never seen it before.

EDIT: oh and, I believe the "dust bunnies" are his slime coat sloughing off.
Reaaalllyy... huh... I did not know it could slough off like that. :/ ok... so, I am going to get an anti-parasitic and try that. I see no poo in his qt tank at all... just the dust bunnies, and actually I did see some tubular, clear pieces which may be his poo. I will have to check him for the external parasites when I get home. I did nbot see any before, but you are right that it may be hard 2 tell because of his coloring... he was kind of clamped the first day but more draggy than clamped... swimming a bit vertically. I don't think his eyes are cloudy... I will add a bit more "stress coat" to see if that helps too.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #9 
DarkMoon17

If he is eating and still having clear poop, you should consider using something that treats internal parasites like Jungle's Anti-Parasites pellets as well. But finish using API General Cure first since it should be able to kill internal parasites as well (they both contain Metronidazole, but it is best treating internal parasites with medicine that is taken orally). I wouldn't use both at the same time since that might give him an overdose of the metro...
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #10 
smellsfishie

I gotcha. Somy plan was to just get the oral anti-parasitic (hope he eats it...) but do you think an anti parasite water treatment is better?