Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #11 
Sakura8

He's gorgeous, sorry to hear he's a little jetlagged from his trip. You can use a flashlight to look for parasites but a lot of bettas don't like the light. As for the white stuff near his tail, it looks like extra slime coat. If he was really stressed during his trip, he would either overcompensate with extra slime coat or just shut down production and shed what he had, not sure which one it is.

I hope he perks up soon.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #12 
smellsfishie

Wow... this is the first I have ever heard of sloughing off slime coat... its so weird... so do you think a replacement slime coat like "stress coat" is better or aquarium salt to help him produce his own? Maybe I will do the stress coat first (he already has some in his tank but maybe a little morte will help?) And then some salt in a day or two?
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #13 
DarkMoon17

I would use Stress Coat, but only the recommended amount for helping them replace their slim coat. Giving more than recommended very well could make no difference at all or could be harmful. I think the water treatment would be better since it should treat both internal and external while the pellets will only treat internal and he may not eat them. Do 100% daily water changes and replace the meds afterward. IMO you should do the medication in combination with Stress Coat since it sounds like even if he doesn't have external parasites, the clear poop is a sign that he most likely has internal parasites. Even a fish that is stressed should have brown poop if it is eating.

Last edited by DarkMoon17; 06-19-2011 at 01:27 PM.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #14 
smellsfishie

Very true... I am going to pick up some meds then tonight. At least he is not acting completely sick. I was going to be very sad if he died.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #15 
DarkMoon17

As long as he is still eating he should make it. I really hope he pulls through too, he's an amazing fish. I like "Pencil" :3
Old 06-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #16 
smellsfishie

Thanks :) I got a medication I am going 2 try tonight when I get home. I wanted to get the "general cure" so bad but it is powder and each packet is for 10 gallons.... he is in like a 1/2 gallon critter keeper... so instead I got a liquid med that is like 10 drops per gallon. But I'm not sure if it will kill the parasite he has... cause its primarily for ich....... sigh... best I could do. It says it kills some other protozoas.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #17 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
As long as he is still eating he should make it. I really hope he pulls through too, he's an amazing fish. I like "Pencil" :3
I like Pencil too. I'm not usually superstitious but calling a fish Popeye is just asking for that fish to get, well, popeye. Pencil is cute.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #18 
DarkMoon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I like Pencil too. I'm not usually superstitious but calling a fish Popeye is just asking for that fish to get, well, popeye. Pencil is cute.
So true >.>

smellsfishie- Don't use that!! Ich medication is different from other types of parasite meds. It is very specialized and probably won't work. If you haven't opened it yet, return it. It is easy to dose out General Cure even though it is 1 packet per 10 gal. Just put 5 cups of water in a jug and add the medication. Then use 1/2 cup per gallon or 1/4 cup per 1/2 gal. Just mix it well. Ich meds are really harsh and should not be used if your fish does not have ich... Your boy is already really weak...
Old 06-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #19 
smellsfishie

Really? It says it kills other parasites and some other stuff too... but anyway, I didn't use it yet because when I opened it, there was no dropper device or anythingh..... how the heck am I supposed to put in 5 drops without a dropper... stupid manufacturers. So I was going to get something for it today. Oh well.. if I ever get to the pet store today I might trypicking up general cure. Thanks for help with the dosing. :) and as per the name, I too get an irky feeling when I call him popeye lol but I try to just ignore that feeling and sing popeye the sailor man to him. Umm... but yeah. I might try to come up with some other name completely. I am getting used to Pencil though too. :)
Old 06-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #20 
smellsfishie

started him and the other 2 I got on the general cure today. let's hope it works! Poor guy this morning had pink fins... probably irritated from being bitten... or maybe from losing his slime coat... :/

Also, I see the beginnings of more black coming in. If he is anything like my spotty girl, soon all his spots will be gone and he will be a big black blob. :<

Last edited by smellsfishie; 06-21-2011 at 05:46 PM.