Old 06-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #1 
HappytheBetta

Arrow No on Knows...pls help!

My betta Happy is acting funny....

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no.
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 corey catfish

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta bits once a day and freeze dried blood worms every other day
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% change every 2 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
just did a test last night and it said it was very high alkalinity...added more conditioner...retested and it was ok :D
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he seemes to be a little lighter in color...not much but i spend so much time with him i can tell...it kinda looks like a very thin film of white over him
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Heavier breething and sitting on top or bottom of tank...not much movement
When did you start noticing the symptoms?After i did his first 50% tank change....i just put him in the 10gal tank about 2 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? No because i wasnt too sure about this melafix the guy at the fishstore reccomended...he had like 5 dead bettas in his store! I WAS PISSED that i didnt look at his fish before i bought anything from him!
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no...Happy is a very Happy boy
How old is your fish (approximately)? ive had him for 3 months....ALSO is it odd that hes grown almost 2in since ive got him??? hes not bloated just looks like double the size of all the other bettas ive seen :D
HappytheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #2 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

You say you added your betta to the ten gallon tank two weeks ago. Was the tank new and uncycled at that point?
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #3 
HappytheBetta

Yes it was a brand new tank...he acted the same way when i put him in there for the very first time...our water here is very chlorinated and high in metals so when i saw him acting this way last night i was thinking it was that i added his water then put the conditioner in...like i might have shocked him :( I also us a lil extra conditioner because we are in a big city with bad water...but i cant understand why hes looking a lil pale?
***and i did find out i was overfeeding him a little...can having uneaten food in the bottom of the tank effect him??? (its clean now :D)

Also he has a great tank 2 live plants 2 plastic, and a spongebob pineapple house he likes to chill in :D

Sorry for all the Qs ...no one in my area knows anything about Bettas!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #4 
HappytheBetta

SHould i use the melafix or no? and if i do is it ok for the corey catfish too???
Old 06-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #5 
vaygirl

I wouldn't use melafix, no. I'd give him time to adjust. It's possible you shocked him with the water change. At this point I'd be doing water changes every other day (50%) because your tank is not cycled. You can read up on cycling a tank and the nitrogen cycle here:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #6 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Vaygirl,

Thank you!!!! My computer was having fits... I typed up an answer 4 times... and the computer dumped it four times!!!

Happythebetta,

Welcome to the forum. You'll learn a lot here! :)
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #7 
JKfish

Welcome to the forum! Unforunately, there are some issues (obviously), but luckily they are easy to solve.

Do not use any meds. Firstly, do a large water change. Make sure you put the conditioner in the water before adding it. Ammonia builds up in those tanks, and in an uncycled tank that is stocked like that , you should be doing 50% a week and a 100% once a month.

Secondly, freezedried foods are not that great, and you should be feeding 2-3 pellets (pre soak them all the way before feeding) twice a day. Since you also have to feed your cories, you'll probably have some ammount of excess food which should be removed after the proper ammount of time. Food that is left is will rot and produce ammonia.

Thirdly, corys need to be in groups of 4. Because of this, you want to cycle your tank, because 5 fish in an uncycled 10 gallon would be a lot of water changes. After you cycle your tank, you'll want to get two more cories. Since you already have fish, you should do a fish in cycle. Here is how: Leave your filter running all day every day. If you are using carbon filters, that's okay, just leave the filter media in there and do not remove it. Stuff your filter full of sponge filter media, which you can buy for like 2 dollars at any petstore. Once again, do not toss it. Once a week you'll want to do a 50% water change. Stir up the gravel or use a gravel vaccuum to get the gunk out of the gravel. If you notice your fish acting funny, do a 50% water change ASAP. Once a month, during one of your water changes, take your filter media out and swish it through the old tank water to remove some of the gunk that builds up.

In a cycle, benificial bacteria grows in your filter media and on your tank surfaces and they convert your ammonia to nitrites and then to nitrates. Of the three, nitrates are the least lethal and build up the slowest, so once you have your water cycled, you only have to do a 50% water change once a week. You'll probably want an API Master Test Kit to monitor your water quality. There should be less than .25 ppms of ammonia or nitrites throughout the cycle, and once you are complete, you will have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and visible nitrates.

As for your cories, you will want more cover for them. Bettas are like school bullies... they either ignore the fish or attack. Sometimes they will ignore for the longest time then decide they no longer want tank mates. As such, you need to be prepared for this and have enough hides for your cories should they need it. I suggest silk plants for cover as well as possibly a few easy live ones

Wow, I'm sorry for the super long type and a super long read... and it seems like Vaygirl got here first, but I hope it helps!

Last edited by JKfish; 06-11-2011 at 10:24 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #8 
betta dude

is it fungus?
betta dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:42 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Freeze-dried foods aren't bad. They're very misunderstood and for some reason I'm their biggest advocate. And no, I'm not working for a fish food company. Freeze-dried foods are fine in moderation. The best method of feeding your betta is to feed a variety of foods. Pellets for one meal, freeze-dried for another, frozen for the third. Some people are comfortable feeding one freeze-dried bloodworm a day, others prefer to feed those only once or twice a week. It's your call, Happythebetta.

Also, technically, corys can be kept in pairs. They'll do fine - unlike other schooling fish, corys won't pine away without large numbers of their kind. But they are happiest in groups of three or more, with five or six being ideal. So definitely, follow JKFish's advice and get two more corys when the tank is cycled. That will probably be several weeks from now.

Keep an eye on Happy and if he seems like he is struggling to breath or to swim up to the surface, post immediately. Those are signs of a serious problem. Hope everything turns out okay.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

Water quality issues due to water changes every 2 weeks with that bioload in an uncycled tank is most likely the problem

I would start with 25% water only for the next 2 days-then 50% water only for 2 days then 50% with vacuuming the substrate in all places that can be reached without moving anything in the tank or disruption of the plant root...then on a regular/weekly basis....50% weekly with vacuum to maintain water quality....

Use like temp water for replacement water and always use dechlorinater with any water added to the tank......

Can you post pic......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote