Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #1 
dawntay21

daaayumm!!!!!

So I wasn't home for a week, had a nice vacation in San Francisco with some relatives. I asked my mom to take care of my two guys and I told her to feed them every other day 3-5 pellets, but i guess my mom thought that it wasent enough and fed them every day! so now my poor fishes look all pregnant lol. (thanks mom) I've never had this problem, are they are gonna be okay? should i stop feeding them for a few days? a week?

ohhhhh and also i bought some small pieces of driftwood, do I just add it to the tank like regular decorations? or do i have to clean it in a particular way??

I really appreciate your help!! thanks!
dawntay21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:47 AM   #2 
kimotion

I wouldn't starve them. I'd put him on a "diet" and do one pellet once a day for a week. Then on week 2, two pellets, once a day and then gradually increase by week
kimotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:23 AM   #3 
Ashleigh

I feed my betta 4 pellets each day and he's small. 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I haven't experienced any problems so far. Like kimotion said, try feeding only 1 or 2 pellets a day for a week. It's amazing how much betta's stomachs can change in a few days ^_^
Ashleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

I have a feeling your fish are pretty big based on what you said, and Im going to disagree with above.

Fast them (NO food) for at least 3 days. This isnt a problem, as they can go 10 days very comfortably without. That should give them time to poop and become normal. If, after 3 days, they havent pooped and are still big, consider fasting them for 2 more days and/or adding unscented epsom salt to the tank, which acts like a laxitive. If this is the case, let us know for the dosing schedule.

Also, soak the driftwood for a few days at least or boil it, otherwise itll turn your tank brown with tannins (which are good for the fish, but the brown changes are kinda ugly). Make sure there are no sharp points on it to cut fins.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #5 
dawntay21

thank you guys! its been 3 days with out food, and they are going crazy! but their bellies are almost back to normal!
dawntay21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

Thats good to hear! Keep them off one more day or until it goes back to normal.

I PROMISE that they're not hurting from the fast! :)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #7 
OzarksLady

I'm afraid not to feed my two fellas twice a day everyday. I think they would jump out of their tanks in the middle of the night and strangle me in my sleep. Little pigs.
OzarksLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:57 PM   #8 
JamesJr8

With my driftwood, I had to boil it for 30 minutes, then change water for about 4 hours. Finally it became clear! So if you don't want the brown water, then be prepared to boiled for a long time!
JamesJr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:14 AM   #9 
AngelicScars

fasting is okay, it actually gives their digestive system some rest time. Nothing wrong with it! Glad things are looking better now!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:04 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Yes. Many of the people on the forum fast their bettas once a week. It can help prevent constipation and bloat. Fish can go for up to two weeks without food. They might not like it, but they can do it.

OzarksLady, if you ever have to fast your guys, sleep with a light on and a net under your pillow just in case they do come for you. If you hear a suspicious splash from the direction of their tanks, be ready with the net.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote