Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #1 
Algy

Bloated beta?

Hello everyone,

I have a HM male red betta that keeps floating at the top of his tank. His tummy is a bit fat but its been like that for almost 3 weeks now.. I realized what might have cause the constipation (feeding him pellets all the time) i stopped feeding him pellets and went off to giving him a variety of different food. He stays floated and has trouble swimming down to the bottom and sometimes he rolls to his side. What can I do to help him? Someone said peas would help?

Any response would be greatly appreciate it. Its been like this for almost 3 weeks.. he eats fine, has lots of energy, color is great, fins are good, scales are good. Just the bloating... or is it constipation?
Algy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #2 
youlovegnats

Hey Algy. First off, this should be in the diseases section, but that's ok. :)
I think you may be over-feeding your betta. Even if your feeding him a different variety, he's still eating too much.
I boiled (and shelled) pea will help, yes, but I recommend using frozen daphnia first. That tends to work a lot better so I hear. I would also fast your little guy for 3-4 days. Don't give him anything, even if he begs! lol Also, keep up with your water changes! Bad water quality can also cause bloating. What size is your tank and how often do you change the water (and what percentage?)?
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #3 
Algy

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
Hey Algy. First off, this should be in the diseases section, but that's ok. :)
I think you may be over-feeding your betta. Even if your feeding him a different variety, he's still eating too much.
I boiled (and shelled) pea will help, yes, but I recommend using frozen daphnia first. That tends to work a lot better so I hear. I would also fast your little guy for 3-4 days. Don't give him anything, even if he begs! lol Also, keep up with your water changes! Bad water quality can also cause bloating. What size is your tank and how often do you change the water (and what percentage?)?
Frozen Daphnia? What is that and where can I get it? Yeah I tried the boiled pea and shelled it. I ripped it and rolled it into lil pieces for him and he ate it but I didnt feed him too much. Like 2 lil pieces that equaled up to his eye. I fast him for about 3 days and then started him on some frozen brine shrimp but would switch it off to other food for the passed 2 weeks. I give him weekly full water changes due to his size tank which is a 1.5 gallon tank. I use a 5 gallon jug to premix my water. I use half spring drinking water and half tap water, conditioned as well. I also add a table spoon of aquarium salt to the 5 gal jug to mix. Let me know if Im preparing my water correctly.
Algy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #4 
youlovegnats

Ahhh That's the problem! In a 1.5 gal, you need to be doing more than weekly changes. You should be doing one 50-80% and one 100% change weekly. ;) That might be the issue. Hmmm regarding the bloating: Daphnia is a small organism (kinda like brine shrimp) It looks like this -->

Some pet stores sell them in the freezer section (where you get frozen shrimp and blood worms), although I haven't found any in my area.

You could also use Epsom salt for the bloating if fasting isn't working.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can also use the freeze dried daphnia. I use Hikari brand. It looks kind of like sawdust. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #6 
Sara07013

My little guy is bloated as well and hasn't been eating for a week now. People have told me to treat him with the epsom salt. Maybe you should try this as well. I declorinated 1 gallon of water and added 2 teaspoons of the salt and let that desolve then I added that water mixture to his betta cup he came with when I bought him and have him floating in that inside his tank. If he is constipated hopefully this should help. If you try it make sure to change the water redoing the salt treatment every day. I've never done this treatment before but a lot of people seem to think it helps!
Sara07013 is offline   Reply With Quote