Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #21 
Sakura8

Which fins and how so? Do you mean the tears on his fins are joining at the ends? If so, the transparent part is the new fin membrane. That would mean he's healing. But if you mean some of his fins are fusing together, then that's a whole new problem.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #22 
Loryen

Hmmm.... well, you know how on a half-moon betta (like the one in your pic) there's kind of three major fin sections...?

Well, those three main sections all have transparent tips. That's where he was ripped. So, I'm assuming that's good....???
Loryen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:28 PM   #23 
animallover4lyfe

I actually have a betta im caring for at work that has the exact same problem actually. The most important thing is to keep the water level low enough so he doesnt struggle to the top. That alone will be exhausting for the betta if he has to travel far to get to the top so a longer length but short tank would be best. If he is eating and active im sure he will be fine, iv been caring for my betta at work for several weeks now and
He is doing great! His colour has actually improved and i would suggest doing lots of frequent water changes. I do not think he will ever recover from what he has its probably something he was born with! I hope i helped!
animallover4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #24 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loryen View Post
Hmmm.... well, you know how on a half-moon betta (like the one in your pic) there's kind of three major fin sections...?

Well, those three main sections all have transparent tips. That's where he was ripped. So, I'm assuming that's good....???
Oh, I see, you mean the dorsal fin (top), caudal fin (tail) and anal fin (bottom one on the stomach)? Yes, transparent tips are a good sign. Poor guy, back trouble AND he's got to lug around a heavy halfmoon tail. Like an old lady with a Dolly Parton bust.

I'm glad his fins are growing back. animallover, great tips. A shallow tank would definitely be good for this guy (no Fluval Chi tank, too tall).
Old 06-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #25 
Loryen

Thanks for the good news! Muffin (yes, I WILL get pics up ) has actually become really beautiful. The scales on his body have turned darker, so his whole body is a dark red, and his fins have started to develop these metallic blue streaks :p

So prettyyy!!!!

I have no idea if he is a half-moon or a veil-tale (beauty or the beast? LOL), and I will put pics up soon. He doesn't have that veil-tale droop, but I can't imagine him being a half-moon... I mean, he was a petstore betta.

He's started flaring at me, and now he does things like swimming around and building bubble-nests. Here's something I made....

MUFFIN'S GROWTH-CHART

When he was at the petstore: Scooted around bottom of tank, struggled to surface to breath, tried to survive the Angelfish nips!!

When I got him: Scooted around bottom and occasionally rested at top, easier trips to the surface, started eating more and getting fatter

Now (10 days after I got him): Swimming around more than scooting at the bottom, easily comes to the surface, eats like a pig, started eating pellets and loves them,fins healing, flares at me without a mirror, doesn't get freaked when I do a water-change, color developing beutifully, getting fatter...

Thanks so much to everyone who helped me with him... I don't really need your help anymore, but I'll keep you posted on Muffin! Pictures to come soon!!~!

Last edited by Loryen; 06-30-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Forgot to add some details
Old 06-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #26 
GunsABlazin

Its so good to hear that Muffin is doing better.
I just received a betta from a pet-store. He is in the same condition as your Muffin was when you got him.
I hope he heals as well as your boy did.
Any good pointers?
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #27 
Loryen

Wow,good job for rescuing him :)

Just keep the water leval low, add a bunch of plants near the surface that he can rest on, if you have a filter, keep the turbulence low, feed lots of fatty foods so he can get his strengh, and just love him loads.

I need some help here... Muffin flared at me the other day, and I got a good look at his tail. He's def not a half-moon, because his tale has three very different sections, in sort of oval shapes... does that make any sense??

I looked at some pics, and I think he's a 'spade tail', or maybe just a small veil tale...
Old 07-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #28 
Sakura8

Sounds like he's a triple tail! Definitely get a pic of that when you can, I'm having a hard time visualizing it. Also, it's possible he did start as a halfmoon but the angels just nipped his fins so much they split. Watch for growth in between the sections that might indicate his tail is growing together. My VT girl got in a scuff with my VT male when she hopped his divider during my siesta; now her tail is in two sections like a doubletail, but I can see growth between the two pieces. Lots of bettas get their tails split down the middle for one reason or another. Either way, Muffin is a definite individual from tip to tail.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #29 
Loryen

LOL, thanks! Will try and get a pic up... this is what he looks like (not him, but tail type is the same)
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #30 
Sakura8

Looks like he's a veiltail with spade tail tendencies? Handsome boy, if his tail looks like that. Yes, a pic when you can.