Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #1 
Kiwimommy

Something strange is going on....

My crowntail betta is in a 2.5 gallon tank..
He had a couple ghost shrimp and a snail with him, doing 50% water changes every other day or so (or 100% water changes, depending on how the water looked) and no heater (Had to use it for my community tank.. a couple of my fish got ich and I'm still trying to get rid of it with the heater, 50% water changes every day, etc)
but anyways...
The tank has been like that for a week or so.. everyone was fine.
Then today I noticed one of the shrimp was dead..
and another was almost dead (on his back, hardly moving)
and one was fine.
and the snail? Dead.
The last shrimp died within the last couple hours..
I swear, everyone was fine yesterday..
I changed the tank water (100%) the day before yesterday and it's still clear as can be..
My betta looks fine, still relaxed, fins out and swimming around..
but all his tankmates are dead!
I know this isn't 100% about the betta..
but whatever got his tankmates could kill him..
Should I wash the tank? remove him? I'm not sure what to do..
Kiwimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Ghost shrimp are a short lived critter to start.....some live 1 year some a little longer an some a less.....what kind of snail, have you added anything different in the tank or anything that contains copper..what are you using to treat Ich in the other tank, any live plants, what type of substrate in the 2.5gal and is it filtered...

The Betta is acting fine...no change in behavior.....after any type of death its a good idea to go ahead and make a 50% water only change....aquatic creatures start to decomp the second they die and can pollute the tank fairly fast unless you have lots of live plants....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

Not sure what happened, but I wouldn't put anything else in a 2.5g next time, overcrowding.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #4 
Kiwimommy

In the bigger tank (10gal) I have it filled about 1/4 of the way, heater going (it's preset to 78 but for some reason stays around 73 or so) 50% water changes every day and a bubble rock going but that's it until I can get to petsmart tomorrow and get something for it.
Oh, and the tank is bare right now until the ich is cleared up. It had 2 live plants, aquarium rock, 2 little caves (one topped with a silk plant)
I've washed the rock and caves well and they're out of the tank..
The fish seem to be doing better, but are still getting white spots.. one that didn't have them before has a couple, and the betta with a few now has more..

In the 2.5 gallon there's 1 live plant (not sure what it is), 1 fake one, and aquarium rock.
Haven't added anything new to the tank other than new water, but it's the same as the water I use for all the other tanks and the ghost shrimp in the 10 gal are fine.. (even with ich running rampant)
No filter as of now.. even the bubble seemed too strong of a current for him.. Not sure why..
The snail was a gold mystery snail.

Last edited by Kiwimommy; 06-19-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #5 
Kiwimommy

Eek! Now it seems one of my girls is VERY round..
I'm not sure if she's full of eggs or if she's bloated..
She's the "Lead" girl and tends to steal as much food as possible...but surely she can't be eating THAT much?
I got some stuff to treat ich and did yet another water change today.. the white spots are still spreading (now to the rest of the girls in the tank) but I just put the ich medication in the tank today..so.. hoping it works!

To add, pretty sure it's not dropsy. I researched it and she doesn't look that round.. just.. fat I guess?

Last edited by Kiwimommy; 06-20-2011 at 02:40 PM.