Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #1 
troublez

Unhappy help me betta not breeding

hi i'm a first time betta breeder with a beautiful delta red male fighter and a female around the same color. I have got them in a tank together with the female inside a smaller see-through holding tank inside the other tank so he can see her, but he wont create the bubble nest. There is no gravel and only a sponge filter in the tank, what am i doing wrong?
troublez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....

What size is the spawning tank and what spawning method are you going to use, how did you condition the breeders, water temp, live plants, additives used, other thing in the tank...etc......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #3 
troublez

the tank is about 36 centimeters in length, 26 centimeters in height and 21 centimeters in width. the breeders were fed growth koi stick everyday, no gravel or plants in the tank a sponge filter in the tank only im only learning and tank supplies and food are VERY VERY expensive where i live.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

Koi food is not appropriate betta food. It won't contain the amount of protien needed to properly condition bettas.

You really need lots of plants and hides to create a naturalistic spawning environment. The male probably doesn't feel secure in the tank and that is most likely why he is not building a nest.

Don't take this the wrong way.. but even a basic set up for breeding cost a bit of money. You need a breeding tank, a grow out tank, jars for the fry, live foods in varying sizes so the fry's nutritional needs are met as they grow.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #5 
troublez

i know i am right now workin on buildin my own grow out tanks and holdin jars for fry
Old 06-20-2011, 12:29 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublez View Post
hi i'm a first time betta breeder with a beautiful delta red male fighter and a female around the same color. I have got them in a tank together with the female inside a smaller see-through holding tank inside the other tank so he can see her, but he wont create the bubble nest. There is no gravel and only a sponge filter in the tank, what am i doing wrong?
Separate and isolate them for now. What kind of live/frozen foods are available to you? You need to feed them nutritional foods..... appropriate for bettas. If I may ask, what part of the globe are you at - tropical, sub tropical or 4 season?

Bubble nests isn't the only sign of readiness. Flirt swimming is more reliable. Some males don't bother with nests until the eggs are laid ..... in fact some make them after fry begin to hatch.

How old are they? Younger males are sometimes harder to breed..... well actually these guys have such a character that they may act differently on each spawn.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #7 
HD4life

I would seperate them and condition your pair for a while on live food so you have time to get more supplies. Dont rush things, worry about what you still need first, your pair will still be able to spawn later when your set up. You will want a few plants for refuge, cultures started for your fry, containers ect.
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
not breeding