Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #1 
Owric Bawrin

Exclamation Is this Ich or am I just paranoid? Need opinions

A little backround: My daughter has a crowntail betta she received as a gift about 3 months ago. It was originally in a fish bowl and I thought it would be easier to take care of (as well as happier) in something a little bigger. We bought a 1 gallon tank with a hood, light, under gravel filter system, and air stone. After reading a few posts appraently this was an error in judgement and we should've went with a bigger tank w/ a heater. That is something I will have to rectify soon however we have more immediate concerns about the betta's health. My daughter told me yesterday that her fish is staying towards the bottom of the tank in his castle and isn't swimming around as much as he usually does. He is still eating fine and coming out to eat, but seems less active than normal otherwise. I looked at him and thought I could see white spots along his body and head, but it could just be paranoia after reading all the diseases they can suffer from. I also understand now that they can have some of the same symptoms from the water in their tank being too cold. I've attached pictures of the betta to get opinions. Any help/advice you could offer would be much aprreciated.

Owric Bawrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

In the last pick I can see something on his head but he also looks really bloated. Could you please fill out the sticky thread's forum? It'd help a lot in diagnosing. I don't see the usual characteristics of ich. (Which is the betta looking like someone put table salt all over him.) Has his fins always been tipped with black and that short? I know one of the other members may confirm this too but he could have mild finrot. It's really hard to tell.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #3 
Owric Bawrin

The tips are actually a dark bluish/purple color and have been since we got him. It shows up better in the light when he spreads his fins. As far as my daughter and I can remember his fins have been this length since we got him.

Sticky Info:

Housing
- What size is your tank? 1 gal.
- What temperature is your tank? N/A
- Does your tank have a filter? Under-gravel filtration system
- Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes, airstone.
- Is your tank heated? No
- What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
- What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra O brand, "BettaMin" tropical medley flakes.
- How often do you feed your betta fish? Every other day as much as he can eat for 5 minutes.

Maintenance

- How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
- What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Approx 50-75%
- What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Jungle brand, "Start Right" water conditioner

Water Parameters:
- Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Have not tested water. I have to pick up a kit tomorrow.

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
- How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I thought I could see tiny white spots on his head and body.
- How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Seems to have less energy and stays near the bottom of the tank.
- When did you start noticing the symptoms? Within the past 24 hours.
- Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? We have him quarantined in the original bowl we bought him in and are treating betta and tank water with Formalin/Malachite Green product and have completely changed the water w/ fresh water and conditioner.
- Does your fish have any history of being ill? None that we have been aware of.
- How old is your fish (approximately)? 3-4 months, not sure as he was purchased by someone else from a pet store.
Owric Bawrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:13 AM   #4 
PewPewPew

Sneaking in to help you out ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owric Bawrin View Post
The tips are actually a dark bluish/purple color and have been since we got him. It shows up better in the light when he spreads his fins. As far as my daughter and I can remember his fins have been this length since we got him.

Sticky Info:

I think your fish has SOMETHING, though I cant tell from the photos quite what. The fuzziness on his head concerns me a little bit. Can you get us more photos, flash off? Try the "macro/flower" setting on your camera.

Housing
- What size is your tank? 1 gal.
- What temperature is your tank? N/A
This concerns me a little bit. Bettas need around 76-82'F to be healthy and happy, as well as ward of stress, which can cause diseases like Ich.
- Does your tank have a filter? Under-gravel filtration system
Do you leave this on all the time?
- Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes, airstone.
- Is your tank heated? No
- What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
- What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra O brand, "BettaMin" tropical medley flakes.
- How often do you feed your betta fish? Every other day as much as he can eat for 5 minutes.
I would suggest giving a PINCH of the food or two, and not feed for 5 minutes. Theyll eat and eat until they croak- they wont stop eating as theyre always "hungry". Piggies! ;)

Maintenance

- How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
This isnt ideal, please see below.
- What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Approx 50-75%
I would suggest in your 1 gallon, filtered tank (so long as the filter is always left on), that you do two 50% changes in a week to help keep ammonia at bay. You dont HAVE to do 100% changes, because you have the filter, but every so often, do a good one to get the poop from the bottom and stuff :)
- What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Jungle brand, "Start Right" water conditioner

Water Parameters:
- Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Have not tested water. I have to pick up a kit tomorrow.

Great! I suggest API's ammonia kit, liquid. Its a better value at 130+ tests a kit, and is more accurate than strips.

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
- How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I thought I could see tiny white spots on his head and body.
This is a link to what Ich looks like, let us know if its like this. Ich is lots and lots and lots of spots all over. http://nippyfish.net/icecream/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/ich21.jpg

- How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Seems to have less energy and stays near the bottom of the tank.
This is why I want to know the temp of the tank, to rule out the fish possibly being sluggish from being chilly. If you could get a reading on that, that'd be GREAT! Even if you use a mouth thermometer, that works: Get a clean up of water from the tap and allow it to float/bob in the tank for at least 15minutes, best yet a bit more. Once it has, test the temp with the thermometer in the CLEAN, nice water, as it has warmed up to the temp of the tank.
- When did you start noticing the symptoms? Within the past 24 hours.
- Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? We have him quarantined in the original bowl we bought him in and are treating betta and tank water with Formalin/Malachite Green product and have completely changed the water w/ fresh water and conditioner.

Good job! If I may ask, what is the name/brand of this medicine. I think I use it, too. If its QuIck cure, that is!
The thing about Ich is that ich needs heat to nuke it off the fish. Here's an article about ich's life cycle that explains why its hard to get rid of in lower temperatures:
http://www.peteducation.com/article....+2160&aid=2421

Essentially, ich, when it sticks to the fish, cant be hurt by medicines. You have to let the parasite (ich) grow up and finish its life cycle and reproduce and then kill the babies when theyre "young" and vulnerable. This can take a long time in too-low temps. 80-83'F water is BEST because it speeds up the life cycle, which means the medicines work better and faster!

Follow the directions on the medicine for now and get back to us with the info and pictures, if you can :D
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:40 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Be really careful with meds that have malachite green. That stuff is toxic to humans. If you get it on your hands, rinse immediately. And try not to breathe it in, either.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:58 AM   #6 
kgs1992

I don't really think that's ich.
I think that your water temp. is too low & your fish is constipated.
Remove all gravel (if any) from the tank & watch for poop.
Fast him for at least a day or two.
Next time, feed him lesser. Remember that a betta's stomach is as small as his eye.
Also, vary his diet and fast him one day a week.
Unless you can really see the ich, I suggest you don't medicate him.
Instead, add some epsom salt to the water and increase the temperature to 82-84.
Higher temperature & epsom salt help to fight off mild (non-severe) cases of ich.
Perform daily water changes of 100% (so the ich, if any, doesn't reattach itself).

Last edited by kgs1992; 06-16-2011 at 03:10 AM.
kgs1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:06 AM   #7 
Sakura8

I tend to agree with kgs. Ich isn't just a few random spots. They're ALL OVER THE PLACE, even on the gills. Bettas with ich look like they have been liberally dusted with sea salt. Ich is like a parasitic chicken pox for fish.

Epsom salt treatment is 1 tsp per gallon to start with.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:43 AM   #8 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
ich needs heat to nuke it off the fish
I lol'd
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:55 AM   #9 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Be really careful with meds that have malachite green. That stuff is toxic to humans. If you get it on your hands, rinse immediately. And try not to breathe it in, either.
If you are using malachite green, you must remove the activated carbon in your filter before dosing...

EDIT: IMO I think he's just cold and bloated, it doesn't look like Ich at all X_X
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:16 AM   #10 
Arashi Takamine

It sounds like he's cold and had waaay too much to eat. I suggest when your picking up the test kit also pick up a heater. The Marina 10 watt is 15 dollars at Petsmart. Don't get fooled into the much more expensive Marineland. (Although I LOVE my heaters since my fish love the temp being in the eighties.) A good method I discovered for bloating from a full belly is to hold up a cosmetics mirror to the tank for a few minutes and within due time he'll pass it from moving around so much and flaring out his gills. It'll take awhile for him to pass it so after gettng him to flare just leave him alone. Don't do this though until he has a heater though. Stressed out, cold betta's don't do well. They're cold blooded tropical fish. If you can't afford a heater at the moment an electric heating pad under the tank I heard works well. But get a thermomitor to check it. My mom, when we first started out used a meat thermomitor and we still use it (it's now for the fish) During big waterchanges to make sure everything is absolutely perfect. It never fails.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote