Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2011, 12:29 AM   #1 
yojon3000

Spits out food!

hello im new here :)
i got my first betta fish yesterday and i have the hikari bio gold and when i give my betta some he puts it in his mouth and spits it back out and puts it in his mouth and spits it out he does this like 3 or 4 times and then it just floats to the bottom under the rocks -_-

he swims around alot so i dont think hes sick he is a veiltail male

he also swims to the top and makes bubble nest :3 cute
im using RO water (purified water)
i havnt bought water conditioner :/

if he is just being picky what food brand should i buy at petco cause thats all i can go to
yojon3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:34 AM   #2 
xMandy

My bettas do this..just their way of eating. If I give my non-bettas pellets (shrimp) they do this as it takes a while to break it up.
Is it that you think he's having trouble eating it?
xMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:58 AM   #3 
yojon3000

well is it normal because he does it like 3-4 times and it just floats down and he hasnt eaten anything
Old 06-20-2011, 01:01 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojon3000 View Post
hello im new here :)
i got my first betta fish yesterday and i have the hikari bio gold and when i give my betta some he puts it in his mouth and spits it back out and puts it in his mouth and spits it out he does this like 3 or 4 times and then it just floats to the bottom under the rocks -_-

he swims around alot so i dont think hes sick he is a veiltail male

he also swims to the top and makes bubble nest :3 cute
im using RO water (purified water)
i havnt bought water conditioner :/

if he is just being picky what food brand should i buy at petco cause thats all i can go to
Hi yojon3000, welcome to the forum.

Your guy is still settling into his new home so he may be a little fussy about his food. Also, bettas can be very picky about what they eat so if he is eating something different than what they fed him at the pet store, it might take a while for him to come around. Another possibility is his mouth is too small. You can take his pellet and crush it up so it's smaller, but that is kind of hard to do with Hikari pellets as they're pretty small as it is. You can also soak the pellet in garlic juice before feeding him. And finally, a third option to try is soaking the pellet in a little bit of tank water so it gets really soft. This way your guy can just take a bite out of it and not have to try and swallow it whole.

It might take a few days for him to eat. It took one of my girls the better part of a week before she settled in enough to have an appetite. Feed your guy and if he doesn't eat any food after 10 minutes, remove it so it doesn't dirty up the water.

Even if your guy isn't picky, I would probably recommend a different kind of food, as Hikari is no longer the same quality it used to be. I like New Life Spectrum Betta formula or Omega Betta Buffet Pellets. I'm 90% sure your Petco will have New Life; mine does. Also, if he doesn't eat, try some frozen or freeze-dried blodworms. Offer him only a small (less than a half inch) bit and see if he'll eat that.

Do you have a heater for your guy? Bettas love warm water of about 78-80 degrees farenheit.

I hope he eats for you soon. Don't worry unless he gets lethargic.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:39 AM   #5 
yojon3000

no i dont have a heater but i have a gecko that dosnt need lights and his cage is 78 or 80f so i think he'll be ok.
he keeps making bubble nest but the bubles pop when he makes one
Old 06-20-2011, 02:18 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Quote:
no i dont have a heater but i have a gecko that dosnt need lights and his cage is 78 or 80f so i think he'll be ok.
he keeps making bubble nest but the bubles pop when he makes one
Haha, I imagine it takes practice to build a bubblenest.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #7 
yojon3000

i tried feeding him again and he still spits it out
Old 06-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #8 
Irishdancer

One of my fish does that sometimes, too, especially when I feed him pellets. He won't eat until the food has had a few minutes to get soggy.

Bettas can be picky eaters, so if he doesn't start eating soon you can try giving him a different kind of food. Mine really like freeze-dried bloodworms.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #9 
yojon3000

what are other foods to buy?
Old 06-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Quote:
what are other foods to buy?
Frozen bloodworms are good because you either take a cube or break off a piece and let it thaw a tiny bit, just until you can take one or two worms out. Freeze-dried bloodworms are good, too, but controversial (some think it causes bloat). Try this: New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula .5mm Sinking Pellets. They don't really sink and they're so tiny they look like Folger's Crystals. Just give no more than 6 at a time. If he won't eat those, that eliminates completely the "mouth is too small" theory.