Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2011, 12:19 AM   #1 
YoshesMom

broken fin

So the betta that I just rescued from walmart has a broken/malformed fin he dosent swim very well he kinda just sits ontop of his plant and hangs out he does eat..well like a betta im just not sure if it can be healed and if it can what should i do to help his healing go faster he isnt stressed or sick or have any other body deformaties
p.s. his name is Monet
Attached Images

YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:29 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Monet is lovely, I like the blend of colors. I want to clarify, it's his dorsal fin, right? It looks like it's broken and bent over on itself? Hard to see because the round cup distorts the view.

If he has trouble swimming and he's calm enough, I'd suggest keeping him in his cup for now and floating it in a big, warm tank. Make a mixture of 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon and use that for him. Change the water every day, redo the salt, keep him like that until he goes stir crazy and wants out. A product like Prime or Stress Coat as water conditioner will help too.

If you don't want to keep him in the cup, then lower the water levels a little of his tank so he can reach the surface easier. As long as you don't have live plants, you can do the salt treatment in his big tank, too (it's just easier to change the water daily on a small QT cup). If you do have live plants, you'll have to use the cup as salt can kill plants.

You may find the broken part of his fin falls off in time. In fact, it might be better for him if it did. If it does, keep the water super clean and continue with the salt to keep away secondary infections.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:45 AM   #3 
YoshesMom

yes his dorsal fin as just as you discribed he seems to zoom around the tank at times but he just kind sits in his plant which is fake and tail enough that pieces come out of the tank so he rests nere the surface quite a bit its heated and i put him in a 2 gallon drum bowl just because i wasnt sure how he would act i'll try to get some new pictures of him.. he is just a love dosent he have the best little face
Old 06-20-2011, 01:30 AM   #4 
YoshesMom

I tried to get good pics of him but DAMN he has gotten really quick that makes me feel alot better he was zooming and wigglin so quick i had to stick my finger against the glass so he would sit still for a minute hes scootin around just like any other betta i have but his fin worries me..i just couldnt leave him at walmart :( it really strange because when you look at his fin the "dead part" is the same color as the rest of his fin so maybe he was born like this?
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2011, 01:50 AM   #5 
Sakura8

It's really possible he was born that way - I doubt Wal-Mart gets the best bettas and I wouldn't be surprised if a breeder passed off his "defective" betta to Wal-Mart. Does he eat and act normal otherwise? When he's super active does he sometimes seem like he's . . . panicked or frantic? If he does just speed around for no reason, that's called darting and it could be a sign his fin is bugging him a little.

If he's in a 2g, be sure to change the water every other day at least (every day if you can). He's so cute, I hope his fin heals up (if it's not a defect) and he makes it. For now, the salt instructions I gave earlier should help ward off infection.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:15 AM   #6 
YoshesMom

he eats like a little piggy betta he dosent seem to dart around when my phone stop being an A$$ i'll get a vid of him swimming he seems to be perking up alot now that hes in clean warm water and other betta around him to flare at!
Old 06-20-2011, 02:38 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Good to hear. I look forward to more pics.