Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2011, 12:23 AM   #1 
OzarksLady

Fresh organic food

We have a lettuce bed that recives no pestisides of any kind. Neither does our yard.
I have one kid of lettuce that attracts lettuce aphids. A few times a week I'll pick two small leaves with 10-15 aphids , the aphids are about as big as ( , ) that comma, on the underside and float them in my two little guys tanks. They just love them and clean the leaf off in a few minutes. As soon as I started to do that they now greet me everytime I go hear their thank with expressions of "OK Mom, where's the buffet?".

They never look bloated and seem to perk up when their done with their snack is done. Does anyone forsee a problem with that?
OzarksLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:40 AM   #2 
Sakura8

As long as you don't overfeed. One thing you might want to do is put the leaf in a jar and only take a few aphids out at a time. Bettas are glut guts.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #3 
OzarksLady

Oh don't I know! LOL

No matter how many aphids are on the leafe they will eat every one. I have been watching to see if they look uncomfortable or their bellies look too full after they eat and so far they don't. I do know that they aren't eating much of their flake food but they didn't before I fed them their first aphids. It all ends up on the bottom of the tanks. They much perefere the aphids and pellet food. I have been changing their water every weekend because of the flake food.

Aphids are the only live wild food I will feed them. We have tons of micro ants but they can travel so far it's no telling what they could be carrying in on their feet & bodies. We do have micro spiders in the house.

Do you think maybe I'm spoiling them a bit? LOL
OzarksLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Haha, oh, I'm certain you're spoiling them and I'm also certain they're super happy little bettas. Oldfishlady the super moderator feeds hers all sorts of live critters she finds so as long as they don't get fat, they're probably eating a way healthier diet than if they just ate flake or pellets. It's a lot closer to their natural diet.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote